Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sealing/protecting wooden planter?

Posted by grullablue 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 5, 11 at 16:45

I hope I'm posting in the right forum!

My son and step dad made a bench planter for my deck, I just LOVE it! I am not sure how to use it, however. I could put pots inside, but I'm not sure I'd like the look of round pots inside a square box, and finding square pots that would fit perfectly might be a bit of a challenge. I was curious if I could paint the inside of the boxes with something to protect them, then drill holes for drainage in the bottom? I'd considered two things...I don't know how much the first option would be...but that spray on bedliner stuff, or, roofing tar stuff. We used to use this sort of tar in our old galvanized livestock tanks when they'd get a hole in them, and eventually, when we would get a new tank, we'd just paint it on to help make the tank last longer, to keep it from rusting. So I'm wondering if either of these options might work, or if you all have any other ideas?

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sealing/protecting wooden planter?

First of all, that's a well-executed bench planter!

Definitely drill holes for drainage. I would seal the wood on the outside, too.
If you can find a square pot, that would be about the best solution. Otherwise, you
might try what I've done with wooden barrels. Take a large plastic bag, line the
inside, fill the container with your mix, then trim off the excess plastic.

Josh

o

That is a beautiful bench. I would pay a pretty penny to have one like it. What kind of wood is it made of? I like Josh's idea of using a plastic bag to hold the potting mix, but use something very heavy duty or use two. Drainage holes and sealant are important too. I don't know what's in tar, but I have had the impression that it's not totally safe. I would want to make sure not to use anything that might leach toxins over time.

o

Beautiful bench!! I had something similar to yours made by my father-in-law, He said he used a pruning sealer to seal the inside of the planter. These can be found at any nursery, He also used a weed barrier to line the inside. I would be afraid of the plastic withholding too much heat and not enough oxygen.The weed barrier can also be found at any nursery, just be sure to ask for the pro.used by the nursery's themselves. It will allow water to drain,oxygen to penetrate, and keep the media in place. The pruning sealer is extremely flammable so be careful.Good Luck ! I know however u chose to seal, and display you planter will be the envy of the whole neighborhood!

o

A very nice job indeed. My first concern is for the drainage water staining the pristine deck. Even if you were careful with your watering there will be rain water. Your clever son and stepfather should be able to solve the problem. Years ago I made a 4x8 box for growing herbs and coated the inside with roofing tar which worked very well. The outside of the box and bench I would use the same sealer you use on the deck. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here