Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hotzona_2007

Would this be a good substitute for the Pine Bark Fines?

hotzona_2007
13 years ago

It looks like I won't be able to get the Pine Bark Fines in my area, so was wondering if something I saw at Sprouts would be a good substitute.

The product is called Feline Pine Cat Litter Original. The package states that the ingredients are 100% pure pine.

No chemicals or perfumes added. It comes in pelleted form.

Cost is 4.59 for 7 lbs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Feline Pine Cate Litter Original

Comments (14)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

It's unlikely it would work. There is no info in the link telling us what it's made from, but my guess is it's prilled sawdust. That would be sawdust mixed with a binding agent and rolled up in little balls. Sapwood and heartwood aren't good choices, nor would sawdust be. You could always try it, but I'm pretty sure you'll be disappointed.

Al

• hotzona_2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, sounds like it probably wouldn't work. Not willing to sacrifice a $30 rose to find out. Is there anything else that might be a good substitute for the pine bark fines?

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

It would be helpful to those of us who would like to help if you included your state and your city, or a large city near you in your user info. ;o)

Al

• hotzona_2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I changed my profile, not sure this is what you were looking for,but in case that doesn't work, I am in Tucson, AZ Hot and dry summers, mild winters.
    Al, thanks for all your help on these forums. I have learned so much from your posts just over the last 2 weeks. :-)

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Hi hotzona,
    I am in Tucson also. Nice to meet you..:) Not too many of us here. :)

I had gotten my pine bark fines at John Deere landscapes.
    Ina road. 572-7066 And the gentleman that helped me was John. :) Not kidding..lol..

I got a huge bag of pearlite at home depot and the peat at lowes.

I have several plants in the 5-1-1. This is my first season using it, and am very happy with it! I was going to start a thread soon showing them.

I hope that helps..

JoJo

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

That cat litter will dissolve shortly after it becomes wet.

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

I also found the Turface at John Deere, but have not found the grit yet.

JoJo

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

You can build a perfectly terrific medium without the grit. Don't limit yourself to exact 'recipes' if it become frustrating locating some of the ingredients.

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Hi rhizo,
    Thank you...:)

Yes, I do realize that, but I really want the grit for the weight. Durring our monsoon season, right now, we get some pretty tough winds.

This time of year, trees get up rooted, or blown over! I mean huge mesquites and palo verdes..

I don't want to chance a tree blowing over and breaking.

I've had to upright a tomatoe a few times this week. :)

Eventually I will have large terra cottas for it all and that will help. But I have about 40 containers and it will take awhile. :)

Hope you have a good day!
    JoJo

• hotzona_2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

JoJo, Thanks for all the info. Yes we do get horrendous winds sometimes. Here is a picture of our Palo Verde that uprooted in our driveway during one of our storms this year. Was the biggest tree on our lot.
    {{gwi:46964}}
    So do you move your pots to a more protected area during storms? The container I will be using will be way too heavy to take inside. My smaller ones I do, though.

• oregonwoodsmoke
    13 years ago

My bark fines came from a landscaper's supply. Since mulch is used in AZ, there are probably landscapers supply places that deliver truck loads of decorative rock and bark.

I suggest that you run an ad in your local Craigslist, in the home and garden column. Ask for suggestions on where to purchase decorative bark for mulch.

None of the landscapers supply places around here have listings in the phone book, or on-line. I just know where they are because I see the piles of bark and mushroom compost as I drive down the hwy.

You can also usually get bark fines from any nursery that grows their own potted plants. They buy it by the truckload to mix into potting soil.

• hotzona_2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

oregonwoodsmoke,
    Well, I don't think I need a truckload full. lol

So is decorative bark for mulch the same as pine bark fines?

There's only one place I know of that has a pile of mulch, but alas they would not let me have any, because they use it for their farming fields! Oh, well

There is a nursery here that grows their own potted plants, so that may prove to be a source I could use. Thanks for the suggestion!

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Hi hotzona,
    Your welcome..:)

So sorry to hear you lost a tree!! I had to cut one down in the spring due to winter rains and wind up rooting it. I cried! lol. It was small compared to yours, but in full bloom. :(

{{gwi:46990}}

The only plants I move are some small pots and my tomato that kept blowing over. :) I got a 1arge terra cotta yesterday to transplant it into and we'll see how it goes.

Alot of mine are just way to big and too many to move, so I just pary the storms dont destroy them.

My fruit tree's are doing good..(knock on wood! :) ) so far, and haven't blown over.

What are you going to plant in the gritty mix and how big a container?

It looks like your on the outskirts.. what area are you in? you probably get more wind than me. I'm by A mountian.

JoJo

• oregonwoodsmoke
    13 years ago

Hotzona, I don't buy a truck load of bark. I go in with a pickup truck and they load one yard of bark into the bed for me.

I did buy a dump truck load of 10 yards of coarse sand. I've nearly used that all up. Took 3 years, but it is sure nice to have it there to shovel up any time I need it.

Yes, decorative bark is the same thing. But bark comes in all sizes and you want the small stuff, not the big chunks.

I just bought a yard of bark fines that are great for potting mix but I think they are too small for gritty mix. So I will be going back for another yard of the next size up.

You might be surprised how fast you can use up a yard of material if it is sitting there, ready to be used. My yard of bark fines cost $26. Just the same price as two big bags of Miracle Grow potting soil and about 20 times as much material.