Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Smashed and screened hydroclay as Turface alt?

Posted by howelbama none (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 9, 11 at 16:56

Hi,

Anyone think broken up hydroclay pebbles would work as a turface alternative in the gritty mix?

I have a bunch that I am not using and would rather make use of it than purchase a 50 lb bag of Turface.

Thoughts?

Thanks for any input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Smashed and screened hydroclay as Turface alt?

Decided to get the turface and do it right. :) I'll save the hydroclay to use ase mulching my containers that donthave the gritty.

Made my first batch today. Got turface all sport from John Deere, repti bark fir bark fines from petco, and gran-i-grit starter mix from agway today.

Used 1/4 inch hardware cloth and sifted the bark, then screened all ingredients for dust and sediment.

Added tsp gypsum per gallon of mix.

Mixed thourougly, stuff looks and feels awesome in person lol... Can't wait to see what kind of results I get with it.

One note about the reptibark... I see that some people on this forum use it straight out of the bag, I think it really should be sifted to size and screened... It sifted about 3gallons of pieces out of my portion for a 5 gallon batch. I also screened well over a cups worth of fine dust from the bark.

The package does say it is screened already, but I personally found quite a bit of dust....

Not sure if the screening is necessary, just want to share my personal experience with that product.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here