Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tropical jasmine in 5-1-1 mix

Posted by kandhi z7VA (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 26, 11 at 17:58

I have noticed that regular jasmine sambac plants when planted in 5-1-1 mix do not bloom well for me. The moment I plant them in this mix, the plant grows well with lot of green and forms buds but they either shrivel up or turn red in bud phase and die. It is currently happening with 2 of my plants. This is so strange as my other jasmines like grandduke, nitidum and molle love 5-1-1 soil mix and do bloom good under same climatic conditions. Does this have to do anything with lime in the mix, that may not have been mixed well? Did anyone notice similar behavior with ther regular jasmine sambac if you happen to use 5-1-1 mix for your tropicals?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tropical jasmine in 5-1-1 mix

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 26, 11 at 18:50

I bet the cultivar is less tolerant of heat. If you're sure you're not over-watering or over-fertilizing, try double-potting or growing in a white pot. Water during the afternoon, too - anything you can think of to help lower root temperatures.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here