Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Edibles for Railing Containers?

Posted by ashleightaylor 11? Santa Barbara CA (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 15, 12 at 18:15

Hi there! This year I started an edible container garden on my balcony and I have been LOVING it. Words don't really describe the joy I feel everyctime I successfully harvest and eat food I've grown for myself. I've been so zealous however that my small deck/balcony is running out of room! I'm wondering what I could grow in these over the railing containers:

http://www.amazon.com/Greenbo-GPR01-Designer-Planter-Black/dp/B004U6IGTM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
...I have heard this container is great for herbs, but I already have herbs growing in small terracotta pots. Would this container do well for Strawberries? Any other small veggies, like any small peppers perhaps? Or carrots? Anything?

I'm also interested in these: http://www.amazon.com/Apollo-Plastics-L2X6-MOCHA-Railing-Rectangular/dp/B001CUZEJ4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
... and thinking for lettuce. Would Kale be too big for this? Or Swiss Chard? What about bush beans?

I'm already growing the following in pots: tomatoes, poblanos, bell pepper, jalapeno, zucchini, cilantro, mint, basil, chives, thyme, sage, rosemary, kale, oregano, parsely...

I'd love to grow more kale, lettuces/other greens, more strawberries, and any more veggies I can.

Thanks for your suggestions!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Edibles for Railing Containers?

Now that fall is coming, I'd plant more things like lettuces and kale that can be eaten at any size.

o

Since time is short, I would plant lettuce and radishes. I love them both and they would be ready to eat quickly!

If you have a lot of sun, next year you could try small peppers and bush beans. Actually, I would move some of the herbs to the railing containers and use the larger pots for vegetables. Many are available now in smaller sizes suitable for container gardening.

o

Thanks! Yea I was thinking for now lettuces/kale!

I found a railing box that is 24 inches deep, do you think i could try I small carrot variety or beet?

Do you think I could do strawberries next year in those Greenbos? Also bush beans would be fun for next year! And peppers but what variety is small enough?

Thanks so much!!!

o

• Posted by rina_ 6a Ont (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 16, 12 at 20:52

There are small round carrots available (like French heirloom 'Paris market', Thumbelina, French round, Mini round, Short and sweet...)

You can also grow a baby turnip which could be eaten whole, raw or cooked (I like plate of roasted veggies: baby potatoes, baby carrots, baby turnips, small round onions-delish!)

And strawberries should do well next year.

o

thank you rina!

o

great post Rina!

o

ashleightaylor, did you find those 24 inch deep railing containers online or at a store? I have been looking for something like that but have had no luck so far.

o

doomahx - i found them on amazon! here is a link: http://www.amazon.com/Akro-Mils-SPX24DB0E24-Planter-Terra-12-Inch/dp/B005LELQ30/?ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I just ordered one to see how it will work, if it's good I'll get more!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here