Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ultimate sized of decorative cabbage

Posted by summerstar Z7VA (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 19, 12 at 18:58

Our church bought large concrete planters to decorate the porch entrance. I volunteered to grow plants in these large pots, but my experience is limited. With fall coming I've thought about trying decorative cabbage but don't know how big they'll grow. What advice would you give me about them and also their eventual size. Also the area gets LOTS of sun all day. The planters are big; probably about 24" across. We're in Zone 7 here in Virginia. Thanks much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ultimate sized of decorative cabbage

• Posted by rina_ 6a Ont (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 19, 12 at 21:55

Summerstar

I use ornamental cabbages/kales every year. I read that once the plant becomes root-bound in pot, it will not enlarge in size even after potted in large pot or in garden.
I do not know if there are different types according to size, but every year I buy flats of 4" pots, and these stay small.
The large ones are sold in much bigger pots (usually 6" and more).
You can buy cabbages with a long stems too, I guess they just trim the leaves to get them that way?

As for color, it gets better with colder air. So planting them later is better than too early (there is less insects to eat them as it gets colder, too). They last for a long time. I am in zone 6, and had some ornamental kale overwinter.

Are you planning to plant anything else in these container together with cabbages?

Rina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here