Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oxboy555

Reconfirming: Liming with new 5-1-1 batch

oxboy555
10 years ago

Is it always considered best practice to lime a new batch of 5-1-1?

Should I still lime in 5-1-1 even if I plan to do the following?

- Water primarily with distilled water.
- Mix in a hard, alkaline tap water every 4th watering or so
- Fert exclusively with Foliage-Pro 9-3-6
- No CRF or gypsum

Thanks, guys! (I always do a search/read Al posts prior to my posting, so I try not to spam...BUT...I do have a lot of startup questions still).

Comments (5)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Yes, add the Lime.

If you're planting blueberries, you can omit the Lime...although you'll still need to provide Cal/Mag.

Josh

• oxboy555
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Greenman, can I ask precisely why the initial lime is necessary in the scenario I described in the OP?

• zeuspaul
    10 years ago

No CRF or gypsum

Is your bark well composted?

I recently experimented with a few 511 variations. There was a very noticable difference between the mixes with nitrogen in the mixes vs the mixes without nitrogen applied in the mix. By noticable I mean the squash plants in the mix with nitrogen are currently more than twice the size of those without fertilizer in the mix.

Zeuspaul

• Ernie
    10 years ago

In addition to providing calcium (and magnesium, if you're using dolomite), lime raises the pH of the 5-1-1 mix to a range that's optimal for most plants. Without the addition of lime, your mix will likely have a pH between 4 and 5, which will make it more difficult for all but acid soil adapted plants to acquire the nutrients that they need. So, although Foliage Pro provides Ca and Mg, you still have the pH issue that needs to be addressed.

Nonetheless, if you're the type of person who likes to experiment, then you might want to try omitting the lime from a pot or two just to see what happens. It really depends on the plant in question and how willing you are to risk suboptimal growth.

Finally, I'll also second zeuspaul's recommendation for a CRF. I've had better results when I've combined a CRF with Foliage Pro than when I've relied on Foliage Pro alone.

This post was edited by shazaam on Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 10:37

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Thanks, Shazaam. You hit all the main points.

Josh