Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reconfirming: Liming with new 5-1-1 batch

Posted by Oxboy555 Las Vegas (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 19:01

Is it always considered best practice to lime a new batch of 5-1-1?

Should I still lime in 5-1-1 even if I plan to do the following?

- Water primarily with distilled water.
- Mix in a hard, alkaline tap water every 4th watering or so
- Fert exclusively with Foliage-Pro 9-3-6
- No CRF or gypsum

Thanks, guys! (I always do a search/read Al posts prior to my posting, so I try not to spam...BUT...I do have a lot of startup questions still).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reconfirming: Liming with new 5-1-1 batch

Yes, add the Lime.

If you're planting blueberries, you can omit the Lime...although you'll still need to provide Cal/Mag.

Josh

o

Greenman, can I ask precisely why the initial lime is necessary in the scenario I described in the OP?

o

No CRF or gypsum

Is your bark well composted?

I recently experimented with a few 511 variations. There was a very noticable difference between the mixes with nitrogen in the mixes vs the mixes without nitrogen applied in the mix. By noticable I mean the squash plants in the mix with nitrogen are currently more than twice the size of those without fertilizer in the mix.

Zeuspaul

o

In addition to providing calcium (and magnesium, if you're using dolomite), lime raises the pH of the 5-1-1 mix to a range that's optimal for most plants. Without the addition of lime, your mix will likely have a pH between 4 and 5, which will make it more difficult for all but acid soil adapted plants to acquire the nutrients that they need. So, although Foliage Pro provides Ca and Mg, you still have the pH issue that needs to be addressed.

Nonetheless, if you're the type of person who likes to experiment, then you might want to try omitting the lime from a pot or two just to see what happens. It really depends on the plant in question and how willing you are to risk suboptimal growth.

Finally, I'll also second zeuspaul's recommendation for a CRF. I've had better results when I've combined a CRF with Foliage Pro than when I've relied on Foliage Pro alone.

This post was edited by shazaam on Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 10:37

o

Thanks, Shazaam. You hit all the main points.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here