Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potted Garden, 2 months young

Posted by gee.gee SoCal Z9 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 26, 11 at 19:25

Hi, all -

Been lurking here for months. I'm an utter noob at gardening, I've been known to kill cactus in the past, e.g., decimated a gift 7YO bonsai plant in a matter of weeks. That said, as a kitchen-hobbyist, I''ve oft drooled at the idea of homegrown herbs and vegs, so this summer, gave it a shot.

I've cherry tomatoes, bells, mini bells, basil, eggplant, mesclun, ONE sunflower (these things got heads that are way too big for their britches), green onions, stevia. I threw out a leftover sweet potato spud for birds to nosh on, but lo and behold, it sprouted leaves, and to make it short, I'm not sure if I'm getting spuds but I've been harvesting its bountiful leaves for soups and salads. Whatever has ended up in our food, except for tomatoes, the flavors have been amazing! (*epiphany!*)

So it's been good, so far. Of course, I now know I started REALLY late if I wanted any summer offerings, so we'll enjoy the fruits of labor this fall. Also learned some pots I'm using are way too small, so will fix that for next plantings. That I'm better with transplants than starters. That earthworms are good; hornworms, very bad. And learned many, many other things, as well as making many mistakes ;D

Anyhow, re posting pics, I wanted to follow the Preview-Browse-Submit protocol, but the Browse button was unavailable during Preview Message. So, just wanted to thank everyone here who've shared their photos, expert input, and experiences... I've learned so much from you!

Gardening does the body good ;D

Cheers,
G.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potted Garden, 2 months young

Welcome. Always good to have another gardener.

o

Welcome and I'm glad you've decided to stop lurking and join the conversation. It's great that you were brave enough to try growing so many different kinds of plants. The more you grow, the more you learn.

I'm not sure what you mean about the browse button when trying to post a photo. I've never seen it. I just select Preview after writing my message with a link to a photo in it. If you've done it right, you will see your photo in the message preview.

I'll post a link below to the GW directions for posting a photo. Upload your photos to a website like photobucket.com or Flickr.com, and then follow the directions.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to insert a photo

o
Pics now_RE: Potted Garden, 2 months young

Thanks; finally signed onto photobucket. Here goes...

I've a tiny 10X12 concrete yard off our dining room, hence the containerized plants:
[IMG]http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd482/geegarden/garden1.jpg[/IMG]

Max, the cat, kinda agrees it's become a cool space instead of the old repository for kids' toys, a kayak, etc.,.:
[IMG]http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd482/geegarden/garden2.jpg[/IMG]

Mesclun growing in a colander:
[IMG]http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd482/geegarden/garden3.jpg[/IMG]

These are grown from slips off a cut-up throwaway sweet potato (kamote). I harvest the leaves for soups and the younger leaves for salads. It's prolific, so must harvest weekly. What we can't use, we share with friends ;D :
[IMG]http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd482/geegarden/garden4.jpg[/IMG]

Still learning here ;D

Thanks,
G.

Here is a link that might be useful: garden in august

o
Fixed Pics_RE: Potted Garden, 2 months young

Sorry, that didn't quite work... Once more, with feelings.

Thanks; finally signed onto photobucket. Here goes...

I've a tiny 10X12 concrete yard off our dining room, hence the containerized plants:
Photobucket

Max, the cat, kinda agrees it's become a cool space instead of the old repository for kids' toys, a kayak, etc.,.:
Photobucket

Mesclun growing in a colander:
Photobucket

These are grown from slips off a cut-up throwaway sweet potato (kamote). I harvest the leaves for soups and the younger leaves for salads. It's prolific, so must harvest weekly. What we can't use, we share with friends ;D :
Photobucket

Still learning here ;D

Thanks,
G.

Here is a link that might be useful: garden in august

o

Your garden is lovely. Cats always know where the good vibes are. Thanks for sharing the photos.

o

Well done!

o

Thanks kindly for the props ;D. Gardening, in this short time, has taught/is teaching me so much. For years, I've been the receiving end of gardener friends' fruits of labor... I soon hope to be giver soon too *crossing my fingers & hope the plants don't all of a sudden keel & die on me ;D*

o

Ahhh, plants and animals, its all good! Welcome, Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here