Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gee_gee_gw

Potted Garden, 2 months young

gee.gee
12 years ago

Hi, all -

Been lurking here for months. I'm an utter noob at gardening, I've been known to kill cactus in the past, e.g., decimated a gift 7YO bonsai plant in a matter of weeks. That said, as a kitchen-hobbyist, I''ve oft drooled at the idea of homegrown herbs and vegs, so this summer, gave it a shot.

I've cherry tomatoes, bells, mini bells, basil, eggplant, mesclun, ONE sunflower (these things got heads that are way too big for their britches), green onions, stevia. I threw out a leftover sweet potato spud for birds to nosh on, but lo and behold, it sprouted leaves, and to make it short, I'm not sure if I'm getting spuds but I've been harvesting its bountiful leaves for soups and salads. Whatever has ended up in our food, except for tomatoes, the flavors have been amazing! (*epiphany!*)

So it's been good, so far. Of course, I now know I started REALLY late if I wanted any summer offerings, so we'll enjoy the fruits of labor this fall. Also learned some pots I'm using are way too small, so will fix that for next plantings. That I'm better with transplants than starters. That earthworms are good; hornworms, very bad. And learned many, many other things, as well as making many mistakes ;D

Anyhow, re posting pics, I wanted to follow the Preview-Browse-Submit protocol, but the Browse button was unavailable during Preview Message. So, just wanted to thank everyone here who've shared their photos, expert input, and experiences... I've learned so much from you!

Gardening does the body good ;D

Cheers,

G.

Comments (8)