Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kamarren

New to gardening - please help!

kamarren
10 years ago

I just recently began playing around with gardening as a way to relax at school. My mom is an avid gardener and counsels me from home, but I'm currently having a problem that has been going on for a few months, and she doesn't know the answer.

I have a schefflera tree in one pot and a mix of flowers in another pot currently on my balcony. The tree comes in during the colder months, as will one of the flowers (the others won't return). I have a total of 4 different plants bought from 3 different locations potted in soil I bought at a 4th location. Here's the problem: since day 1, there have been little millipede-looking things in the soil, most predominantly in the schefflera. I'm not totally sure what they are but our best bet is millipedes. Because we live in an apartment, I haven't been sure how to go about repotting, so instead I just scoop them off the surface as much as possible but the little guys don't quit! Now it looks like most of them are dead and dried up, but something else has popped up - these little beads that I originally thought were pebbles, but contain a liquid. They were not there before, and now they are present in abundance. What could they be, and what do I do? I love these plants, but I do not want to bring these things into our home (we've had enough problems with pantry moths, we don't need more squatters). Please help!! I will post pictures if necessary as soon as I can!

Comment (1)