Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to gardening - please help!

Posted by kamarren 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 19:37

I just recently began playing around with gardening as a way to relax at school. My mom is an avid gardener and counsels me from home, but I'm currently having a problem that has been going on for a few months, and she doesn't know the answer.

I have a schefflera tree in one pot and a mix of flowers in another pot currently on my balcony. The tree comes in during the colder months, as will one of the flowers (the others won't return). I have a total of 4 different plants bought from 3 different locations potted in soil I bought at a 4th location. Here's the problem: since day 1, there have been little millipede-looking things in the soil, most predominantly in the schefflera. I'm not totally sure what they are but our best bet is millipedes. Because we live in an apartment, I haven't been sure how to go about repotting, so instead I just scoop them off the surface as much as possible but the little guys don't quit! Now it looks like most of them are dead and dried up, but something else has popped up - these little beads that I originally thought were pebbles, but contain a liquid. They were not there before, and now they are present in abundance. What could they be, and what do I do? I love these plants, but I do not want to bring these things into our home (we've had enough problems with pantry moths, we don't need more squatters). Please help!! I will post pictures if necessary as soon as I can!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to gardening - please help!

I think those beads are in some of the potting mixes to absorb moisture and then they release it as needed. They are kind of yellow looking?

I'm sure someone with more experience will be able to give you a definitive answer. I know I freaked out the first time I saw those in one of my plants. :)

Good luck!!! Jude

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here