Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rubyjchang

Gritty Mix; Watering in Summer; Michelia Alba?

Ruby Chang
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am just wondering how often do you have to water your plants in the gritty mix in the summer?

I know watering depends on many many factors: humidity, indoor/outdoor, temperature etc. But I just want to see what is the approximate time in between watering since my Michelia Alba plant has been weird lately in the Gritty Mix.

When indoors. My michelia alba plant (in about 3 gallon pot) can go 3 days between watering. However, this is the first year it has been in the "real outdoors" (aka my balcony, it has been outside for a few months), which is WEST facing (insane amount of light in the afternoon), though temperatures now are only in the mid-80s, I have to water EVERY SINGLE DAY...is that normal? ( I think the mix is still a bit moist with the wooden chopstick).

Usually I water in the afternoon, and by the same time the next day, the leaves will be very very sad and droopy, so I would water it, and it would be very perky and happy in a couple of hours. Is that because Michelia Alba is just not very happy with DIRECT FULL AFTERNOON sunlight and it will recover every night uneventfully, or there is something amiss with my watering/gritty mix? will this harm my plants that it is so droopy in the afternoon (i really really don't want to OVER-water, however, since it recovers after watering I don't know if that is because I watered it or if it is just because at night, it is happier)...

THANK YOU for ANY ANY HELP/SUGGESTIONS/COMMENTS!

Ruby
p.s. Picture of "perky michelia plant' at dusk.

Comments (2)