Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What containers should I use?

Posted by nightowls 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 17, 12 at 20:40

I just ordered several berry plants and need some help figuring out what are the best containers for them (size/material/etc) - and which of them I should just plant in the ground.

Here is a list of the plants that I bought and what size the websites said they would be:
- Blueberry (Top Hat): ships as potted (4") two year old; mature 2' spread/height
- Strawberies: ships as potted (4") two year old
* Fragola di Bosco: mature height 8-10", spread 14-16
* Purple Wonder: mature height 8-12", spread 10-12"
* Elan F1: mature height 8-10", spread 14-18"
* White Pineberry: mature height 8-12", spread 10-18"
- Gooseberry (Hinnomaki Red): ships as potted (4") two year old; mature height 3-5', spread 2-4'
- Currant (Perfect Red - Ribes sativum 'Perfection'): ships as a two year old; mature spread 3-4'
- JuneBerry (Owen's Drawf?): ships as 1-2' plant; mature height 3'

Also, any potting/growing tips are greatly appreciated; I'm new to gardening and I am really looking forward to some berries next year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What containers should I use?

This is an excellent forum. I also suggest you check out the fruit forum, it's also an active forum with lots of experienced fruit growers. The only thing I can comment on is the blueberries, which I grow in containers. Your Top Hat could go in a 5 gallon container, or you could start a litle smaller. The mix is critical. I use pine bark mulch and peat in approx a 3/2 ratio. I use 2 tablespoons of white vinegar per gallon of water when watering, and the soil HAS to be kept moist. Fertilizing is another subject, and there are lots of threads on fertilizing blueberries.

o
RE: What containers should I use?

Thanks for the suggestion edweather, I'll start a thread in the fruit forum too.

A five gallon container is about the same as a 12 inch contiainer, right? I think I have a couple plastic planters that size. Would I need to move it up to a bigger container later on or is that as big as it will ever need?

For potting, I was thinking of using this:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202288839/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053
with some amendments such as pine needles, coffee grounds, etc. But I could do pine mulch and peat instead if it will make a big difference.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here