Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbish questions - please don't kill me!

Posted by Oxboy555 NV (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 21:12

Awesome forum -- I've spent the last two hours reading instead of working. However, searching hasn't helped we with two basics:

Preferred container types for hot, dry outdoors? Terra cotta? Plastic? Wood?

Preferred covering for drainage holes? Screen? Cloth? Some kind of mesh?

If there are existing links addressing, could you kindly point me to them? I read Al's basic principles article. Any others addressing basics? Thank you so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbish questions - please don't kill me!

For container material, it depends on what you are growing, how big the containers are, and what mix you will use.

As far as drain hole covering, I don't cover the drainage holes for my outdoor veggies using the 511 mix. But I do have a small pot filled with gritty mix and I found some rubber mesh around the house, and used that. You can use anything that works.

o

I use old window screen that I had lying around the house, I've also heard adhesive drywall tape works well too.

Not sure the material the pots are made of matters too aful much...If your pots are in the sun, use light colored pots or pot in pot to keep the soil temps down.

Welcome to the forum!

o

Does Al cover his drainage holes and if so, with what?

o

Hi!!!

When we use the gritty mix, you should use something to keep the mix from falling through the holes without stopping the drainage of the water.

Most of us use either screen that can be bought at the big box store that is sold in small rolls for replacement screens. You can also use plastic material that people use in cross stitch. Michaels Arts and Crafts sells these plastic squares that can be cut to size to cover the hole...

I believe Al does cover his holes with a screen material.

It works well for proper drainage and keeps the mix in its place...

Hope this helps...

Good luck.. Always ask questions..

We like to help !!

Take care,

Laura

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here