Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
discusman_gw

My Gardenia is dying, plz help!!!

discusman
17 years ago

Hi guys,

I'm a new member here. Please help me. I have a pot of Gardenia that I bought it 3 months ago. Now all the leafs are gone, I only see a pot of branches.

The leafs started turn black (look like it has been burned)at the tip, then it soon goes to the whole leaf, then it gets crispy and drop.

I don't know what is going on. Today I repotted it with mixing soil with peat moss.

I think I overwatered it before because the leafs turn yellow. Then I leave it on the south window. The outside temp is almost 100F in New York City. I thought it needs strong light.

The gardenia is mostly indoor. I have A/C on at night. The plant is dying. Please help.

I appreciate your help.

Comments (43)

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

There was a thread on I think the Fragrants Forum about 7 years ago here called "Suicidal Gardenia". A copy of the text of that thread is posted in the FAQ section of the California Forum here and includes the follow up thread that continued the discussion.

The Fragrants Forum has a FAQ answer on growing gardenias here.

Basically, gardenias like bright conditions (and not necessarily full blown south sun) but with plenty of humidity around their leaves. If indoors, you need to put it on a pebble tray as the A/C tends to dry out the air (same applies in winter with the heat on which can dry out the air as well). The temps as of this weekend have cooled thankfully.

The soil needs give excellent drainage as they can succomb to root rot. When potted, the pot needs to be right-sized (not too big) when using conventional soiless mix. Tip burn is often a sign of fertilizer burn. Gardenias, like azaleas, rhodendrons, camellias, etc., are acid-loving plants, where the pH needs to be below 7. Gardenias can often get away with a pH up to 6 and do okay. The peat that you mixed in should help in that instance.

Not sure what to tell you at this point except perhaps move it back away from the window where it is still bright but not blazing, keep it out of any drafts, and make sure the soil doesn't dry out completely, but don't let it get water logged where it stays wet more than a couple days (ie., keep it somewhat damp). In winter, they seem to do better when it's cool, and although still requiring a humid environment, would need less water.

Hopefully the links to the FAQs will help. It may or may not recover - ie., sometimes if their conditions stablize, they will resprout new leaves and start a new flush of growth on the bare stems.

• dangsr2
    17 years ago

I have 5 large gardenia plants out in the yard and never do any thing to them except in early summer spray thim to kill the white flies. Growing them pots ,just dont over water them, and inside you should not have the flies. They are avg, feeders so dont overdo it. Water only when the soil is dry down 3 inches and then dont over water them, maybe just a small amount at the time till you learn how much it needs. Dont give up and GOOD LUCK.

• andy_e
    17 years ago

Hats off to you dangsr2 for getting them to work. But I would still advise newbies to give up and move on. No joke!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

dangsr2 is missing the point about the important limiting factor.....discusman is attempting to grow his gardenia INSIDE. Growing these plants outdoors in containers is not a challenge. Keeping them happy inside the typical home or apartment is very difficult.

• discusman
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks guys. I will keep you guys updated. I think I fertilized it too much, what should I do now? Repot it and put fresh soil mix? no more fertilizer at this point? Thanks.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

At this point, it might be fastest to repot. Usually with overfertilization, it is recommended to flush the soil with alot of water, however since it is leafless, I'm afraid a water flush may end up causing some of the roots to rot away. I think you might just try starting over and let it try to recover. Water when it just starts to dry and don't fertilize until it starts sprouting new growth.

• discusman
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi guys,

I have repotted my gardenia using fresh soil and peatmoss (40-50%). Is there anything else I need to add in the soil mix? I saw people add some wood chip, but I dont have them.

Can you guys tell me the exact mixing? I let my gardenia sit on a pile of pebbles with water in a dish. I hope it can survive. Thanks for all your help.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

If you have already repotted, you could just wait and let the plant rest, giving it water as needed. It is often recommended to mix some drainage material into the soil mix if it has none (eg., perlite or fine gravel, etc). But I think the actual recommended ratios are going to vary from person to person and is often dependent on their natural watering practices and other conditions. You do want to make sure that when you water, that water comes out the drain hole relatively quickly and the mix doesn't stay wet for more than a few days.

• singlesportzguy
    14 years ago

You need to do a few things. First off, lose the peat moss. Peat draws moisture away from roots drying them out. Perlite in the soil will give the drainage necessary without pulling the water away which will not only rob the plant of water but will cause some mold and mildew over time.
    Gardenia are magnesium loving plants so mist with about 3Tablespoons of Epsom Salt per gallon of water every few days. Mist daily with bottled water and do not water the plant for about a month if you think you may have some root rot happening. You may want to repot and root prune the gardenia to check on the root health.
    do not fertilize the gardenia but DO use a mixture of shredded oak leaves and some dried pine needles which will give the plant some wonderful acidic nutrients. You can use an acidic fertilizer next spring. (not miracle grow as it has a tendency to develope weak roots)
    Make sure you remove any water from the drainage tray under the pot after every watering because you do not want that sitting there since the gardenia will not like wet feet.
    Gardenia are also very sensitive to chemicals so if you have it sitting in front of a window, move it back away from the window before cleaning the window. If you smoke, the gardenia may not be a great houseplant for you because they are sensitive to pollution.
    Try these and feel free to Email me if you have any questnions.

• patriciabaker412
    5 years ago

Help please. What is wrong with my gardenia?

• patriciabaker412
    5 years ago

• myermike_1micha
    5 years ago

Take it out of the sun

• patriciabaker412
    5 years ago

Thank you!

• myermike_1micha
    5 years ago

Did you just re pot that plant? have you watered it thoroughly?

I am a pro with these plants, so feel free to ask away!

• Elizabeth Schultz
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Help from HOT Texas, my Gardinia was beautiful, I was in the hospital for 5 days when I got out the leaves started yellowing, turning brown and crunchy, I don't think it was watered very much, it has been a battle trying to bring it back to health

• HU-813111312
    5 years ago

Hello, i need advice and not been a professional at planting shrubs and new to gardenias. I love the way the plant smells and produces endless frangrant flowers. I also didn’t know to much about to care of them at first.

I been reading up on gardenias theirs so much to learn about them. If I would of know how fragile the plant is I probably would have never got mine.

It’s been 5 months since I got mine and have to say it did well up until now. The weather has been changing. hurricane season came and it’s been taking on more water than I would have liked to give it. It was probably overwatered I am assuming. Not sure but, two out of the four need help. Not sure of the name brands of products to purchase. I just made a solution with epison salt in a gallon. 3 TBSP TO ONE gallon. Not sure to spray with it or actually give the plant a cup worth right on the dirt. Now the dirt is dried out and needs some nutrients.

I bought the plants from a nursery and it was doing great when I bought it but, once took ownership of them it was summer. I was going to wait to plant in the fall. I didn’t plant them in the ground In its permanent spot do to it being 95 degree weather and it might have not made the transplant with a great success. So it’s been in the original pot I bought it in since day one. Two are bigger and one of those is doing bad and one of the smaller plant is not doing so well either. All in original pots and have not feed them either. It’s been in a spot where it gets part shade and some sun. Then mother nature took place and the storm came with lots of rain and now it’s been cold outside. I think I lost my chance to put it’s permanent spot. September was still to hot and now It’s October. The cold weather came faster than I wanted. The last week It’s been mid 30‘s degrees at night and high 50-60 degrees during the day. What is my best way to go about moving on to my next step without losing all four plants?

• myermike_1micha
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hu, hi.

Is there anyway you can put your area or growing some next to your name like mines ? It helps to know where you live in the world.

ElIzabeth. Unfortunately once the roots on a gardenia are damaged there is no coming back at least for all that I have ever known. Watering is tricky. They either die when brought to a wilt or over watered. I wish there was hope. Maybe next time you can figure a way to keep one easily moist until you get back?

Thanks

Mike

• HU-991686909
    5 years ago

Hi, I’m zone 7, i boarder TN/GA. So the update is I planted the 4 gardenias. Bought them to the nursery and still living from what she said. Now its the waiting game to see if it takes root And grow more leaves. Thanks for getting back to me.

• Leslie Wermann
    5 years ago

I know this is an old thread but can anyone advise on a Gardenia repotted in Florida that is dying?

• ladybug A 9a Houston area
    5 years ago

I am not qualified to give advice, I killed mine 15 yrs ago and gave up on them when I read the suicidal gardenia thread. BUT, got one in a pot and 3 in the ground last year and they are still alive. I made my own potting mix with lots of perlite. In the ground, I planted them raised up slightly for drainage. Not sure if that is the trick...

• Leslie Wermann
    5 years ago

Thank you! I didn’t realize they were so finicky!

5 years ago

Lol Leslie, Google gardenweb suicidal gardenia. Its hilarious, and sad. Put me off gardenias for 15 yrs.

Most common problem is overwatering, I have killed many, sometimes watering them more, sometimes putting them is spots with less than ideal drainage.

Miracle grow type mix retains too much water, especially for plants like gardenia. But, what is going on with yours? Pics?

• Leslie Wermann
    5 years ago

It was repotted with Miracle grow!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

Gardenias need a fast draining but moisture retentive and acidic soil. They cannot dry out but they dislike soggy condtions. If growing outside, they prefer partial shade....inside, bright but indirect light.

5 years ago

My container gardenia is in a faster draining mix that I made with perlite, coconut coir, pine bark fines and bit of compost. I water only when soil around 3 inches deep feels dry, if cool and bit moist, I leave it alone. So far so good.

• Leslie Wermann
    5 years ago

Thank you everyone! I have tried several times to download a photo but it never goes through. Leaves are yellow and brown.

5 years ago

If you have not fertilized, its probably over watering or a mix that retains too much water. If you have enough green leaves, you can just leave it alone to dry out a bit , until its dry 3" down and only water then...

• Leslie Wermann
    5 years ago

Should I repot with a different soil? I just don’t want to add more stress to it.

5 years ago

If you have enough green leaves, I would leave it alone and see if it improves.

• Leslie Wermann
    5 years ago

• Leslie Wermann
    5 years ago

• Leslie Wermann
    5 years ago

It finally worked! What does everyone thInk?

• scapergirl (7a DE)
    4 years ago

Leslie, how is your gardenia? Did it live? I killed my gardenia last year from repotting in a moisture control soil (Pro-Mix Brand) in too big of a pot and rain for weeks on end with no real drying out period. Hope it survived!

• HU-717698017
    3 years ago

Hi guys, I'm new to Gardenia's, I bought 4 of them, 3 looking healthy and this is the 4th.

It is planted in Gardenia mix.

This particular plant was sitting in direct sunlight all day and did cop the sprinkler when I water the lawn where it was positioned.

I've moved it out of the sun, pulled it out of the pot, the soil is damp not wet.

Will it recover???

Thanx in advance

Jodie

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    3 years ago

Hi, Jodie! Unfortunately, the photo doesn't seem to have come through. When you post, wait for the picture to turn solid and lose that ghostly look.

But usually, watering a gardenia with a sprinkler won't be a problem (I'm guessing you're in a really warm locale). Damp soil certainly isn't generally an issue for a gardenia, either, they rather like being slightly damp.

• HU-717698017
    3 years ago

• HU-717698017
    3 years ago

• HU-717698017
    3 years ago

My sad dying one and my other three look like this healthy one!

Thanks for letting me know the photo didnt

3 years ago

The bottom ones look pretty good, the top ones look kind of shocked, sun scald from the report you gave. Definitely keep it damp, and in indirect light for the next few days until things recover. Morning sunlight only, at the most.

• HU-717698017
    3 years ago

Should I cut the dry leaves off or just give it a good water?

3 years ago

For now, I'd leave them. If they want to drop, trust me, they'll drop. Keep the soil damp (not wet, just moist) and back off on the sun for now until they adjust a little better.

Gardenias are, unfortunately, extremely touchy plants. But fortunately, they do like sun. Those just look shocked. I've certainly done that when adjusting plants--if you catch them fast enough, they'll usually recover with some TLC.

https://www.gardenia.net/guide/learn-how-to-grow-and-care-for-your-gardenia

• HU-717698017
    3 years ago

Ok thank you I'll give that a try, I moved it away from the afternoon sun and gave it a good water so I'll let it rest now