Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cheap guy needs a few 15 gallon containers.

Posted by edweather Zone 5a/b upstate NY (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 23, 12 at 21:38

I was just wondering if anyone has a suggestion on where I can get 4 or 5, 15 gallon containers? I posted a want ad on Craig's List. The cheapest ones I've found online are the black nursery pots. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cheap guy needs a few 15 gallon containers.

Check with your waste disposal locally. Many have a recycle program for plastic containers. Al

o

Al, Thanks, hadn't thought of that one. We take our trash to the transfer station, commonly known as the "dump." I'll check next time I'm there. Right now I'm leaning toward those 55 gallon poly drums. When you can find them they sell for about $10 used. I could cut them in half. They're almost indestructible.

o

Also, check with your local nursery. We keep a dumpster here for customers to return their containers after planting. We let customers take any for free before we send them to the recycling center biannually.

o

Good suggestion...I'll call around. Thanks.

o

Found someone near here who had 3 heavy duty blue poly 55 gal drums for $25. Cut in half they will make 6 nice big containers.

o

Check craigslist and keep your eyes peeled on garbage days. Amazing what you can find curbside!

o

Yeah, I found them on Craigslist. Then I saw some cool white ones. Now I think I need a couple of those also.

o

you can get 18 gallon plastic containers with lids at Walmart for under $5.

o

buy buckets they are cheap around $5 or less. if you know any carpenters they often buy the 5gal buckets just simply dry out the paint and peel it off.

or you can go to like resturants and ask they sometimes get buckets of food like sauces or w.e and throw out the bucket

o

Thanks lynne and Cel....I needed something a little more durable than the Walmart tubs. The sun will dry them out in a few years, and 5 gal buckets are just too small. I bought the 3, 55 gal drums, and have already cut one in half. They are nice and big and will last for years. I plan on filling one in a day or two and will post the results. We went to the mulch place last week and picked up half a yard of double ground pine park.

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 12, 12 at 16:24

you can also troll your local construction sites for scrap lumber and make 24" boxes that will last a few seasons.

o

Here's the final product. Cost per container including gas, mix, and containers......about $8 each.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here