Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edweather

Cheap guy needs a few 15 gallon containers.

I was just wondering if anyone has a suggestion on where I can get 4 or 5, 15 gallon containers? I posted a want ad on Craig's List. The cheapest ones I've found online are the black nursery pots. Thanks.

Comments (12)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

Check with your waste disposal locally. Many have a recycle program for plastic containers. Al

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Al, Thanks, hadn't thought of that one. We take our trash to the transfer station, commonly known as the "dump." I'll check next time I'm there. Right now I'm leaning toward those 55 gallon poly drums. When you can find them they sell for about $10 used. I could cut them in half. They're almost indestructible.

• raelynn09
    11 years ago

Also, check with your local nursery. We keep a dumpster here for customers to return their containers after planting. We let customers take any for free before we send them to the recycling center biannually.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Good suggestion...I'll call around. Thanks.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Found someone near here who had 3 heavy duty blue poly 55 gal drums for $25. Cut in half they will make 6 nice big containers.

• zzackey
    11 years ago

Check craigslist and keep your eyes peeled on garbage days. Amazing what you can find curbside!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah, I found them on Craigslist. Then I saw some cool white ones. Now I think I need a couple of those also.

• Lynne Reno
    11 years ago

you can get 18 gallon plastic containers with lids at Walmart for under $5.

• Celbrise
    11 years ago

buy buckets they are cheap around $5 or less. if you know any carpenters they often buy the 5gal buckets just simply dry out the paint and peel it off.

or you can go to like resturants and ask they sometimes get buckets of food like sauces or w.e and throw out the bucket

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks lynne and Cel....I needed something a little more durable than the Walmart tubs. The sun will dry them out in a few years, and 5 gal buckets are just too small. I bought the 3, 55 gal drums, and have already cut one in half. They are nice and big and will last for years. I plan on filling one in a day or two and will post the results. We went to the mulch place last week and picked up half a yard of double ground pine park.

• nil13
    11 years ago

you can also troll your local construction sites for scrap lumber and make 24" boxes that will last a few seasons.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's the final product. Cost per container including gas, mix, and containers......about $8 each.