Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Use or lose perlite screenings

Posted by carat37 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 21:39

I've just rooted a bunch of jade cuttings in perlite that was screened through 1/8" mesh. Sadly, an awful lot of my "coarse-grained" perlite slid right through that mesh.

I've seen some people talking about using perlite that didn't fall through insect screen for the 5-1-1 mix. But can i use all perlite that fell between the 1/16-1/8 range for my 5-1-1, or do I need to mix it back in with bigger chunks of perlite as well?

And then for the dust that passes through the insect screen...is that total garbage? Usable to make hypertufa? Good for starting seeds?

Thanks,
Tara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Use or lose perlite screenings

I have tried to use it for seed starting by using it as a cover for seeds requiring a very light cover. It did not work as planned, made a crust on the surface. You could probably use it in the mix for seed starting, but not as a sprinkling on top. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here