Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do you think about this potting mix?

Posted by hotzona_2007 Zone 9/Tucson (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 8, 10 at 21:50

I have a miniature rose that I plan on repotting into a larger pot around Sept when the weather cools down some. I am thinking of using an equal mix of MG organic potting mix, Supersoil Palm & Cactus mix, and OMNI planting compost/seed cover.

The Supersoil Palm & Cactus Mix ingredients are:
Aged & processed softwood bark & sawdust
Sphagnum peat moss
Pumice
Sand
Compost

MG Organic Choice Potting Mix contains:
50-55% composted bark
Sphagnun peat moss
Pasteurized poultry litter
Organic wetting agent (whatever that is lol)

The OMNI Planting Compost/Seed Cover only states that it is made from forest products.

Would this be an ok mix to use, or should I nix the idea?
I did an experiment with this mix in a 5 x 5 1/2" plastic pot, and it would need to be watered every day to every 1 1/2 days. I know it may stay damper in a larger pot, but not sure, at the high temps we've had the last few days. I definately don't think it would stay too wet, though.

I have also thought about maybe adding some eucalyptus bark, broken up into pieces as I have 2 huge trees here that shed their bark like mad. Would this be ok to use, and if so, how much?

I posted a similar message on the miniature rose forum, but received no responses, so thought this forum might be
more appropriate. I am in the process of trying to locate
the ingredients for Al's gritty mix, but thought in case
that is undoable, I could maybe use the above mix instead.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do you think about this potting mix?

Nix it, in my opinion!
Pumice and composted bark are the only two ingredients I would use from that list.

Josh

o
RE: What do you think about this potting mix?

Ok, will do, Josh. Will keep pursueing the Al mix ingredients. Thanks for your input!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here