Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anything you wanted to talk about vii - prolly mostly ot

Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 22:28

I guess I didn't realize the last thread was about to roll over ...... so what do you want to talk about? I haven't been around much because of a large deck project and fulfilling a promise to myself that this summer I wouldn't be reminded about being neglectful every time I water my bonsai trees. I just haven't made the time to give each individual tree the time I need to take to help it come into its own. I've removed a shade garden on the east side of the house, cut back on the number of plants I care for, didn't plant any floral display containers for the garden & decks because of the deck project and because this year has been super busy at the business. I think I've prolly worked as many hours already this year as I did in all of '13. All that has given me at least an extra hour/day on average to devote to my trees.

Getting ready for a vacation. Going to CHI next week for several days to take in the Midwest Bonsai Convention at the CHIO botanic gardens. That's always a great time I look forward to. I always run into a lot of folks I know in the bonsai community.

Anyway, the threads here, so what have you to share with us? A funny story, something new, a garden(ing) question you might not know quite where to ask, .....?

Al

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anything you wanted to talk about vii - prolly mostly ot

Al: Sounds like you are having a very busy summer. I bet your deck will be great when finished. Maybe you could post a photo or two when completed and make the rest of us jealous lol.

Have fun in Chicago. Remember the old saying, "What happens at the bonsai convention STAYS at the bonsai convention", or something like that.

I have never seriously looked into bonsai and I'm half afraid to do so. I would probably start with one little tree and either end up killing it and getting discouraged or else get completely hooked on bonsai and end up with trees all over the place. Neither option would be good. I doubt I could have only one or two trees. Maybe one day I'll try it. They have those Bonsai Society shows in Grand Rapids each year but I've never attended.

Best of luck on the project and the trip.

TYG

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 21:04

I'll post a pic next spring. I knew there was no way to redo the deck w/o doing a lot of damage to the garden, so I sort of eased off on the number of containers I planted, and didn't plant ANY annuals, though I did have a Cordyline (maybe Red Star or Burgundy Spire - at any rate, a zone 8 plant) I put in the ground last year come back (definitely not from seed) after the coldest winter we've had since I was a kid. We're borderline between 5b-6a, and had some serious cold last winter - maybe only 6 days with high temps above freezing between Thanksgiving - mid Mar, with at least 45 of those days having night lows between 0 - -15*. Weird!

I enjoy CHI every year - really look forward to it, and there are lots of lectures/ demos by top international & international artists. This year was the first All-State/Grand Rapids show I've missed in at least 12-15 years. I can't remember why I couldn't get away, but I had some sort of commitment that kept me from going. My daughter's a HS principle and lives in Caledonia, so I usually stay with her & the family for the weekend. Getting sleepy now, so I shud prolly start thinking about the quilt show. ;-) Later. Rest well.

Al f

o

Howdy, Gents!

Al, great to hear report of your doings!

It has been a hot, miserable Summer here in the golden Sierra Nevada foothills of northern California. The drought is fairly deep, which has presented certain challenges.

My container gardening, however, has been truly phenomenal. I've never had a better crop of superhot peppers. Due to the drought, I decided to use drip-trays beneath some of my plants....to conserve water and to keep plants from wilting during these weeks of 100F weather (today was 101F).

Other bragging rights....I work at a Farm during my Summer's off from teaching high school, and we expanded to several Farmers Markets this season....and we've destroyed the competition with our incredible variety of exotic vegetables. When you have 74 varieties of tomato alone, it's hard to compete. But the real fun is that we entered the (local) Nevada County Fair...and won over 40 ribbons and best of show. This is the second year that we've dominated. So I'm pretty happy to add this to my ag / hort resume ;-)

On Monday, I return to work at the high school, this semester teaching Freshman English. I'm excited....but also sad that I won't have as much time to spend with my garden.

Josh

o

Hey, Guys!

We're slowly moving our things north by the carload... trying to pare down and get everything all done before this coming autumn...

I have to figure out how to store all my plants with less window space over winter, but more light in spring and summer. I think I'm lucky i grow bulbs that can be laid to rest for a dormancy/nap until early spring... so all but around 6 of my plants will sleep once frost gets here. The other 6, we'll find window space or lighting for them.

We're also trying to put up food from two organic vegetable gardens... the husband is busy pickling and canning! I grow 'em... he puts 'em up! :-)

It's very nice to hear what you guys have been up to... Josh, English and Lit were my best and most favorite classes in high school... I think it helped that I had some teachers that really made it all such fun to learn, and were kinda off the wall, unique individuals, that left an impression... I still love language and reading! I may even try my hand at writing... we have 3 books to publish, including one about the history of our canine breed and kennel, one spiced with a little fiction and exaggeration, though same subject... and I'd like to try my hand at a bit of fiction, perhaps with a romantic twist... who knows?

The first book is in motion... the second is being kicked around as ideas, and the third... I think I could literally crank one out in short order... I've been keeping a journal of ideas for decades...

Anyway... just touching bases, here. I'll have some nice time to devote to growing, crafting and writing once we're happily ensconced with the family... my source of everything, including inspiration!

o

Hey Al, Jodi, and Josh. Good to see you guys here and read about your adventures.

Al: Your new deck sounds like a major project. I would like to see it for sure, although your new deck might make me envious and want to replace my deck. You were correct about this past winter being a Z4 winter. I'm also in a borderline 5B/6A area and we had a very bad winter. So much colder and more snow than previous years. And I liked your comment about visiting the "quilt show" last night lol.

Josh: I knew you lived out west and had easy access to fir bark but I never picked up that you were a teacher by profession. Very cool. Admittedly English was one of my worst subjects, as you can tell from my posts lol. I have been hearing on the radio about the terrible droughts out west. No only has there been very little rain but many of the lakes and rivers are at very low levels.I sure hope that turns around for everyone out there. No way could I live in place where it gets 100F each day in the summer! And keep us posted on the avocado plant situation. Even though I don't grow them I enjoy reading your updates.

Jodi: Sounds like you and hubby are busy with moving and with canning. Hope both go well. I also didn't know you both were writers and working on publishing books. That sounds very interesting. I hope you are successful with the book projects you discussed. BTW, coffee time here so I better get some.

Have good Saturday everyone.

TYG

o

Thanks, TYG... well, I'm the writer, and my husband is the subject of the book and has all the knowledge and history that will go into it. He needs to tell the story, and I need to write it.

Back in the day, he was one of the very first few to take the Performance American Bulldog and refine it as an actual breed with a purpose, and a clean gene pool. What began as a respect for what this majestic animal was/is capable of, became almost an obsession to breed the highest genetic quality... and merge it with the proper environment... using every tool available to breeders in the world of animal husbandry... to gain, and then maintain, the very best this particular Molosser had to offer. And he accomplished what he set out to do.

If you look, you will find us mentioned and our dogs pictured in a variety of books, the odd video, in hundreds or thousands of pedigrees, within multiple dog registries, and always on the tongues of those who acquire a true interest in this breed and seek to learn and educate themselves about it. We appear in "The World of Fighting Dogs" and "Gladiator Dogs", both by Dr. Carl Semencic... we appear in a video encyclopedia of canine breeds circa the late 1980's, I believe... and we're pictured and spoken of in a few other books, one by Mike Harlow, though for the life of me I can't recall the title of the book at the moment.

Anyhoo... we feel it's almost our duty to write a book that captures the history, and informs the reader of the truth... of what went down during that time frame we were actively involved with the breed and the circle of people surrounding it... breeders, trainers, owners, etc...

We have loads of video, albums of photographs, and so much information to share... information that needs to be exposed... so the public is made aware.

What better way to share all of that knowledge, all of that information, and all of that special history, than to write a book, chronicling our time spent within the world of the Performance American Bulldog?

Once we're all settled in, I think I'm going to poke the bear and make him start telling the story! ;-)

Have a great weekend, Everyone!

o

Here's a question for the group. What one bonsai book would you recommend for a complete beginner? I would like to do some reading on bonsai this coming winter and could use one or two books on the subject.

Thanks.

TYG

o

Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 21:09

.... good to see everyone!

The problem with bonsai books is, none of them go into any sort of depth about how to keep your trees alive & happy .... and few offer anything more than a casual mention about what makes an appropriate soil. A lack of understanding in these 2 areas is what causes most growers to give up on bonsai not long after the first investigative forays.

The authors seem fond of discussing primarily the artistic aspects, which come easy to some, and not so easy to others, like me. John Naka wrote a pair of books that rate at the top of the list, "Bonsai Techniques I" and "Bonsai Techniques II". I think the next best book is Deb Koreshoff's "Bonsai". There are 2 editions; both, I think, are out of print, and either would be a good choice. For a basic overview, the 2003 edition (also out of print) of the Sunset book "Bonsai" provides a very good basic introduction.

Al

o

Thanks for the recommendation Al. I just checked on Amazon and all the books you mentioned are indeed out of print, and used versions are very expensive.

Of course the internet is full of bonsai information, and there is a bonsai group here on GardenWeb, so I'll keep looking around and see what info I can find.

Thanks.

TYG

o

It's Monday so it must be coffee time somewhere!

TYG

o

Hello Everyone!!

It so nice to see everyone. I hope you all are a having a wonderful summer!!

Thank you Al for posting this thread again!!! I missed this wonderful thread to go and just say Hello... ;-)

Al.. Sounds like you have been really busy with your deck and work.. You are supposed to be slowing down !! Lol... Thats what we think, but it always seems to get to busy!! We have been thinking of rebuilding our deck. It is about 30 years old and needs to be replaced. Now we need a permit and the other inspectors that are so crazy about the Wetlands etc. We just built it ourselves back in the day, now we are to old to do it. We know it will be an investment Argh.. But it needs to be done!! I sure hope yours turns out beautiful. I have no doubt it will. You take good care!!

Hi Josh!! I bet you are wondering where the summer has gone? It just seemed like we were talking about spring and now you are talking about being back in school. I hope you canned some of those delicious veggies? Will you teach Drama this year? Have a great season. I know you love teaching and I'm sure your students enjoy you as well!!

Hi Jodi!! Wow. .. You sure are a busy bee!! Writing books too? Moving back home.. You really have had a busy summer, but I know you are happy!! That's all that matters.. ;-). Loves seeing your Plumeria. Awesome job, my friend!! What a wonderful feeling to see such beauty... Take good care and its always nice to see and hear from You!!

TYG. Just wanted to say its nice to see you too!! You have come a long way In How you are growing in your skills and how you make your soils. You also have a wonderful way of Sharing information with others and always helping the new people as well as the others posters. Sometimes you don't get the credit you deserve, so I want to personally say " Thank you". For taking the time to post and help others.. I see it and I know others do as well.. So from me.. " Mahalo Nui Loa". Karma is a wonderful thing and what you give will come back to you.. ;-)

I Have been having a great summer here in Virginia. It seems that the summer is flying by as well as the year, but I love every day. I have a great family and awesome friends. ;-). So I am truly thankful for many things...

My trees have been growing very well this season and I can thank Al for teaching me all of what I have learned. It certainly tells me that I am doing something right in the way my trees produce blooms and the healthy growth In my other plants. Just amazed at how much pleasure I gain from my plants and trees. It's a simple pleasure that you all understand.. You can't pay for something this precious..

I had a few weeks of vacation so I went to Southern California to see some of my friends who love Plumeria too. We had a awesome visit !!! My good friend who is a pioneer in the Plumeria world turned 92 and has been asking when I would visit. I felt it was a good time to head out and spend some time with him. We had a wonderful boat tour around Huntington Beach and we had dinner and a few luaus that our friends put on for my visit. Truly touched my heart...

Getting ready to start to work those long hours again, but I do enjoy the job..

Thanks again you all for this great thread... I wanted to share some pics and I thought this is a great place to share my little grandson. He will turn two in September.. Time sure does fly by.. I'm enjoying every moment and I am Teaching him how to water.. Lol!!! He is doing a great job. I might add ;-)

Love comes in all places and I will say that I never thought having this little guy would bring such joy. So sweet and innocent. He truly loves every new little sight and sound.. The other day, I was reading to him and I pointed out some flowers, I said " Grandma loves flowers.. He kept saying MMMMmmm. And then he was pointing to his hair.. ". I wasn't sure what he was talking about until my daughter came home. I told her about the flowers and how he kept saying hair? She said she wore some of my Plumeria flowers to work in her hair this morning.. What a smart little boy .. Made my day.

Life is precious.. Love is grand!!! ;-). Enjoy....

Have a wonderful summer you guys!!!

Laura

o

Laura, I just love the beautiful oasis you have created in your yard! It just sings of tropical weather and resort-like relaxation! Between the deck, and the pool, and the tropical plantings, I don't know how you manage to leave it every day to go to work! I'd want to just sit with coffee out there, basking in the warmth of the sun, the blue of the water, the scent of Plumeria, and enjoy everything! :-)

I would agree... TYG is very helpful within the forum, as are Josh, Al, and several others! I don't get here nearly as often as I'd like, splitting my time between so many other things, and it's nice to know that others are continuing the sharing of information that can make or break good, optimal growing!

Grandkids are special gifts... that's for sure! I'm so happy that I am now able to watch mine as they grow and change, as they learn... it's amazing! And my little grandson has taken an interest in helping with the vegetable garden! He helped plant, he helps weed, and he's especially interested in harvesting what we've grown!

He can't wait until he's old enough to go hunting and trapping with Grandpa... who will teach him decent survival skills. He'll grow up knowing how to grow, raise, and hunt for his own foods... how to preserve them, cook them... how to make fire and shelter, how to find and purify water, and all the information necessary to living out in the middle of nowhere, and being self-sufficient, which is our goal.

I found this little saying the other day, and it describes us to a tea... ""We may not have it all together... but together, we have it all."

We're rich in ways that have nothing to do with wealth or material possessions... we're rich in family and good friends, in love, in trust, in happiness, and in so much more... things that you can't buy. I only wish time passed a little slower... so I could savor each and every moment just a little longer.

It's very nice that you got to travel and visit with friends this summer, Laura... we're trying to get everyone together to go camping and fishing more often... so the kids can learn and benefit, and above all have fun and make memories they'll carry for a lifetime!

Just as we all love gardening, my family loves communing with nature... there's nothing quite like sitting around a fire at night, after having cooked dinner over it, listening to the chirp of insects, looking up at the stars in the night sky, and enjoying a S'more or two... or three!

Well... time to make more coffee, and sit down to try to rest a bit. I've had the worst insomnia lately... but I chalk that up to either lupus, or a combination of that plus just missing my Old Guy. I don't like sleeping alone... I miss our crowded bed with the dog jockeying for the best position between us, stealing all the covers!

Very soon, as soon as the kids are back to school, we'll be finishing up our move and getting more settled in.

I am happy, Laura... life is finally looking a little more "up", with more possibilities and opportunities. It's so nice to be close with family again.

Happy Gardening, Everyone!

o

Hey Laura, Jodi, and everyone else. Sorry I've been busy and not able to get on here much as I would like.

Laura: Your deck and pool area is beautiful. I'm totally envious. Looks like a tropical oasis. You and your family have put a lot of time and effort into making that place a resort. Personally I'm not sure I'd ever want to leave the house. Very nice indeed. Good luck on your deck rebuild project. Al is doing the same thing I believe.

Everyone on here has been very helpful to me when I was starting out learning about soils and perched water, etc. I had no idea what Turface or DE was or why anyone would want to use stuff like that to grow plants in.

Josh, Al, Ohiofem, Jodi, Laura, and many others provided good advice on why to use certain things and what products and techniques to avoid. Being able to take a tiny bit of that knowledge and pass it on to a newer member is the least I can do in my spare time. I don't get on here much as I'd like but whenever I can I like to be able to help.

Have a good evening all. Time for some coffee I think.

TYG

o

Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 20:40

Hi, Guys! So nice to see everyone gathering around to chew the fat (I bet THAT phrase dates me!).

I was w/o internet for a few days. We had a big rain storm on Sunday, and I thought that knocked out my connection - even if it wasn't particularly windy. Yesterday, I finally called the service provider. The short of it is, it wasn't the storm - my modem just gave up the ghost - it's fixed now.

We got 6" of rain in one day - whew! Thasalotta rain, but we needed it. The ground was really getting dry. Now we need some heat and warm nights to get the corn growing and so tomatoes can ripen. We usually can about 3 bu of tomatoes every year, but it looks like 4 this year if we can get them. My regular tomato guy watches out for me now though. I've been buying maters from him for at least 15 years now. They're always clean and almost all suited for table fare, which makes canning them a LOT less work and less waste. We do the canning in pressure cookers. My wife usually starts about 6 AM and I get into the mix right after morning chores are done. I'm, usually done with the pressure cooking part between 7-9, depending on how many bu we do.

We had a water line break here in Bay City, MI and lost over 20,000,000 gallons into the Saginaw River. The fear was that the break was UNDER the river, which would have been a nightmare because the line is about 40 ft under the river bed in a tunnel. My dad used to tell stories about when he was a young man/laborer working in that tunnel. He worked 32 hrs straight over a 2 day span. He was soaked when done and his car didn't have a heater (in the early 50s) that worked, so his clothes froze solid on the drive home. He was so tired he couldn't get up the stairs to the aptmt and was sitting on the steps. My mother thought he was drunk and figured he could just sit there for a while. He eventually crawled to the door & convinced her he'd been a good boy. She said he slept for 24 hours w/o waking. The old days when men were made of iron & ships were made of wood (according to him, but there's more than a kernel of truth in it). ;-)

I'm off to CHI tomo 4 a bonsai convention. I look forward to it every year. A couple of years I took tools and pruned trees for people I met on GW in exchange for their company at dinner. It was a lot of fun!

If anyone has used the gritty mix and wants to offer an opinion, there's a link on the Houseplants Forum where a guy is asking for gritty mix input and successes/failures - in case you'd like to add your comments/observations.

Unless I stop back later tonight, that's prolly all you'll here from me until I get back. Good thing the Missus volunteered to do the watering (and we actually have water, I should add). Take care, all!

Joke time:

An elderly man on a Moped, looking about 100 years old, pulls up next to a doctor at the stop light. The old man looks over at the sleek shiny car and asks, "What kind of car ya got there, sonny?"

The doctor replies, "A Ferrari GTO. It cost half a million dollars!"
''That's a lot of money", says the old man. "Why does it cost so much?''

"Because this car can do up to 320 miles an hour!", states the doctor proudly.

The Moped driver asks, "Mind if I take a look inside?"

"No problem", replies the doctor.

So the old man pokes his head in the window and looks around. Then, sitting back on his Moped, the old man says, "That's a pretty nice car, all right... but I'll stick with my Moped!"

Just then the light changes, so the doctor decides to show
the old man just what his car can do. He floors it, and within 30 seconds the speedometer reads 160 mph. Suddenly, he notices a dot in his rear view mirror. It seems to be getting closer! He slows down to see what it could be and suddenly WHOOOOSSSHHH!! Something whips by him going much faster!

"What on earth could be going faster than my Ferrari ?" the doctor asks himself.

He presses harder on the accelerator And takes the Ferrari up to 250 mph. Then, up ahead of him, He sees that it's the old man on the Moped! Amazed that the Moped could pass his Ferrari, he gives it more gas and passes the Moped at 275 mph and he's feeling pretty good until he looks in his mirror and sees the old man gaining on him AGAIN! Astounded by the speed of this old guy, he floors the gas pedal and takes the Ferrari all the way up to 320 mph.Not ten seconds later, he sees the Moped bearing down on him again! The Ferrari is flat out, and there's nothing he can do! Suddenly, the Moped plows into the back of his Ferrari, demolishing the rear end. The doctor stops and jumps out and unbelievably the old man is still alive.

He runs up to the banged-up old guy and says, "I'm a doctor.... Is there anything I can do for you?"

The old man whispers, "Unhook my suspenders from your side view mirror, please!"

Al

o

It's always time for coffee, TYG!

That was funny, Al! I'm still chuckling! You do come up with all the good ones! :-)

I hope your trip and convention are a good time!

We're not much for tomatoes, but we've been pickling like crazy! The husband does that sort of thing... I just grow and pick the items!

He's pickling green beans, pickling cucumbers, and I think we're gonna try some Brussels sprouts this year, too.

The Kohlrabi is starting to flesh out... first time I've grown it! The peas were a great success, and I suspect the single yellow pear tomato plant will produce way too many fruits... we'll end up giving away bags of those!

Everything else looks great in the gardens... I'm so glad the husband decided to take an active part in growing this year. Usually, I do all the outdoor work, and he just cans and cooks.

Well... I must get moving. The dog won't walk herself, and I'm seriously low on coffee!

Have a great day, Everyone!

o

• Posted by Drew51 5b/6a SE MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 11:41

I also make my own sauce, but I grow the tomatoes.
It's been a good year! I should have enough to last all winter. I also grow other tomatoes for other purposes. Some in pots and some in ground. Here's some of today's harvest
 photo 002-11.jpg

I have added three or four more gallon bags but here is the stash about a week ago. I soon should have 20-30 gallon bags. That should be enough. Harvest is just starting.
 photo 001-10.jpg

The fall raspberry harvest is about to begin. I saved about 1/4 of the spring harvest for cooking
 photo 005-5.jpg

o

Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 11:51

The pole beans have been going crazy, here is a 2 day harvest
 photo 001-9.jpg

I canned some of them. I added some ripe chli peppers I had grown too (Guajillo).
Some great recipes online. I used this one, excellent!
http://www.yumsugar.com/Spicy-Pickled-Green-Beans-26204484
 photo 002-9.jpg

Here are some of my tomato and in the foreground pepper plants in pots. I have them in ground also. The use of a good compost always pays off!
 photo 016-2.jpg

o

Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 12:02

The strawberry harvest this spring was amazing too. Here's one day's harvest. the white larger ones are pineberries.
 photo harvest001.jpg

I grow a rainbow of colors with raspberries.
 photo 017-2.jpg

The Musk strawberry is very interesting. Some hate them, some love them. I think they rock! Here's one from the garden
Musk Strawberry June 2014 photo 038.jpg

o

Al, that joke was great. Thanks for sharing it.

Hard to imagine that you had 6" of rain in a few hours and metro Detroit was flooded yet over in the west part of the state we have had no significant rain for at least a month. Farmers here are watering crops and lawns are turning brown.

Hope the bonsai show is going well. Now its coffee time for me.

TYG

o

Nice harvest photos, Drew! Thanks for sharing!

We've had decent rain almost all season, so we really haven't had to water... only at the very beginning when seeds were sprouting and plants were small, and maybe once or twice in between.

The husband is busy harvesting zucchini and baking. He's also shredding and freezing for later use. We have lots of crookneck squash to put up, and there should be some acorn squash and carrots later on.

I can't eat tomatoes, except the little yellow pears... so we only grow those for ourselves. Might try pickling some, see what happens.

Soon, we be harvesting tons of apples, and hopefully some paw paws! We still have jars of organic apple butter from last years harvest!

Off to grab more coffee, myself!

Have a nice day!

o

Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 13:24

Sounds awesome jodik. I had many failures this year. . Each year you learn more. I grew some melons and all produced, but they were cut short with powdery mildew. I'm fighting it, but I'm not winning. I need to water them in a more consistant way. They were stressed and such, too dry, too wet, my own fault. Off on vacation my daughter way overwatered them.
I don't care for tomatoes except for cherry tomatoes. Well I can eat them, but I don't eat many. Most I grow is for sauce. I did use a slice on a hamburger yesterday, the rest of the tomato went to sauce.

I forage for apples at an abondaned orchard, but didn't get a chance yet. I have 7 fruit trees, but the winter killed the fruit buds here in MI. No apple trees. Maybe some day. I have decided for now not to add anymore as I seem to always be in the garden. I love it, but I have real life to deal with too.

o

The best use of a tomato, in my opinion, is on a BLT. Or a smoked salmon carpaccio....but I digress. Have never been able to handle the acidic tomatoes, and I don't really care for the flavor much. That's why I grow a Sun Gold for eating, and around ten other plants for salsa and sauce. I did a Chocolate Cherry tomato from seed this year and it is pretty good. For the most part, though, I stick with peppers....the real stars of the garden.

Plus, I work selling fruit and veggies at a Farm during my Summers off, so I have access to more tomatoes than I could ever use....and way more varieties than I could ever fit into my gardening space.

As for apples...not a while for us. The first coastal-grown apple varieties are in, but it'll be September-October before my single old tree ripens a mean green little apple (which the birds, ants, and deer will eat, in that order).

Josh

o

I meant to say, "we WILL be harvesting...", not "we be harvesting..."! That mistake in typing/grammar must have hurt some ears! LOL!

We won't be picking apples quite yet, but very soon! The tree is loaded, though... which leads to a lot of processing!

We used 'food grade DE' as an insect helper until the praying mantis population got large and adult enough to deal with all the insects that were munching on the vegetable plants.

We tried a little something new this past spring... we actually mixed tractor bucket loads of composting wood mulch into the garden beds to help with aeration, and it seems to be working pretty good! The plants are gigantic and everything is producing so well!

Next year, we hope to get our seed order in earlier so we don't have to buy seeds locally... and we hope to change up a few items, including things we want to try, and excluding things we didn't like or didn't do well in our garden.

It's all a process... but a good one!

A big BLT on homemade bread sounds really good... mmmm!

o

Hey all. Wow a BLT DOES sound really good. Maybe I'll just stick with coffee for now though.

Well finally rained here overnight. The deck and sidewalk are wet from the brief rain. For the past 3 days the local weather forecasters have been predicting much needed rain and each day we get a few clouds and dry, windy conditions, but no rain. Been watering everything with buckets and hoses for several weeks now. Probably not a big deal to Josh and others out west who have drought and 100F temps to deal with.

Strange that about 90 or 100 miles from here people received record amounts of rain last week and have flooded basements. When you look at it that way, I'd much rather water plants by hand and have a brown, dry lawn instead of a flooded basement.

TYG

o

Yes, microclimates and weather make such a difference.
Last Monday, we had a brief downpour with thunder and lightning. None of the moisture really make it into the ground, though. Temps have been in the 90F's lately, which is welcomed.

Josh

o

Ok..Josh peeked my interest on the BLT thing..lol

Such a simple sandwhich and yet so tasty...I have not had one for years..I think I am over due..

Jodik..Never thought Id' see the day you would move out..The last time we spoke, you had not moved yet..Shesh, does time fly by, doesn't it?
Do you miss that farm? the area, not so much the aggravation to stay there.
About the window space..There is always room for one more Orchid))
Been mssing you and I owe you a call...I have been straight out these days and just plain ole tired..
I think the lack of warmth and sunny days is finally taking its toll on me...I threw away half of my plants that require hot sunny days...I'm tired of waiting for them..
Can't get rid of this headache.
Please do take care, and becareful with all the driving..Send our love to Larry too, will you?

Josh, can you believe it's time for school already? I bet you can't wait for cooler weather though?
I am still wearing shorts, even if it snow today..
You can have my weather...We have had only 2 days of 90 and the rest of this year way below normal...
Put me into Al's catergory for the coolest weather on record...Today it's ten degrees colder than normal like it's been the past few months, and I think I need to start bringing my plants soon again..
English, just what you like, although I'll bet you will miss the Drama..)
I can't believe you did that good in the contests..That's great and congrats on your HOT pepper growing...I couldn't even grow a regular pepper with these temps..ha

Hello The_yard_guy..Good to see you doing well these days too.

Drew.WOW, what can I say? I couldn't never get the weather to grow that many berries...That's awesome and so colorful.
They must be real sweet..

Laura....You have the most amazing Plumeria and back yard..I dream of one day sitting back there surrounded by all the beauty and love...Love from your plants and you of course..You are a true gem to all of us here..I couldn't be more happy that you met all the fine folks here, that we met you, and that you learned how to grow in such amazing mixes as I have...I love this forum and will always be indebted to it.

My plants are ok, but they could use more sun and warmth..So could I..I am afraid it won't be until next year before we see hot again and a couple of weeks until frost.

My Mom went through her unexpected surgery ok and is finally mending...She was quite sick and I am so glad that is over with for now...I am still caring for her along with my long hours at work and trying to keep up with the plants..

I too was at the hospital for who knows what..They think it was dehydration and doing too much...Oh well..I got and I.V and I feel much better now...I think I will take it easy on my days off for the next couple of weeks..I still have the greenhouse to clean and yard to care for...

Have a wonderful day all of you...So good to have a chat with you all..

Mom say's hello to everyone and hugs..

Now, where is our long time friendJojo?

Sorry for the mispelling. but I have to run..

Mike))

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 18:41

o

Hey All. Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Al: When you get a chance maybe you could post a report on how the bonsai show went this weekend? Bet it was a fun time.

Thanks

TYG

o

Sun, Aug 17, 14 at 22:21

The bonsai show was great. They usually have a spring and a summer show, but in recent years I've been going to the mid-Atlantic show in the spring. The Chicago show is my favorite because the botanic garden is so beautiful. I've put a ceiling on the number of trees I'll allow myself, which means that I haven't been buying ANY trees, but I did come home with 3 trees. A stewartia and 2 sports of ficus microcarpa called Ficus microcarpa 'Melon Seed'. I wish the melon seed variation would have been available years ago - I wouldn't have to work so hard to keep the species plants I have looking good. 'Melon seed' has naturally tiny leaves and backbuds like crazy, which offers the opportunity to build some really old looking trees, small in stature, within just a few years. I'm looking forward to working on these two and making starts for friends from cuttings.

The weather was good - maybe a little on the warm side, and the restaurants we ate at were very good, too. I enjoy the lectures and demonstrations by the guest bonsai masters. I always learn a lot because generally the topic is what that particular master specializes in. I drove from mid-Michigan, about a 6 hr drive that wasn't all fun, but all in all I wouldn't think of skipping next year.

Just a quick HI to all before I turn in. The driving has me sleepy. Looking forward to all of next week off, too ...... though I'll be feeling guilty by the end of the week and prolly go in Thu and/or Fri to see how much work is piled up.

I hope everyone had a weekend as nice as mine!

TTYL - Al

o

By this summer's weather, you might think twice about Global Warming... but climate and weather are two very different things, and our planet is most assuredly changing due humankind's poor stewardship.

Mike, I'm sorry to hear Mom required surgery, but it's good to hear she's on the mend. I know you'll take good care of her... I hope she's fully back to herself very soon! Give her plenty of hugs from us! You have to take care of yourself, too, Mike!

We didn't think we'd ever move north again, either... but circumstances have come together and it's the right thing to do at this time.

Glad you enjoyed your bonsai trip, Al! Chicago does have some nice little areas... even if traffic is often snarled, and the sprawling city and suburbs aren't always pretty. It's too crowded for us... I could never live there!

The Grandkids start school this coming Tuesday... I imagine Josh is looking forward to a renewed schedule of teaching.

Looks like my Plumeria is budding again for one more round of flowers! I can't wait to see them! They smell so nice!

With the kids back in school, we'll be able to finish our move and get more ducks in a row, so to speak. I can't wait until it's all finished!

And so another day begins... gotta get moving! Have a great Monday, everyone!

o

Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 9:02

"most assuredly changing due humankind's poor stewardship. "

Not true at all. So the fact temperatures have been decreasing for 13 years is from us? Despite what you hear, the data shows we have been cooling for over a decade. Glacier ice is increasing not decreasing. It's a huge scam, it's about obtaining the research dollars and giving the politicians what they want to hear. the data says we are cooling, and now we are starting to notice. We are going to cool a lot more too as we enter the mini ice age.
I don't think climate is our responsibility, who gave it to us? They can take it back!
This info is all over the web, just look at Nasa's data. Well they were caught changing the records three times, but you can still see we are cooling. I think it is so funny, as people are so extremely ignorant. They buy this scam hook, line, and sinker. Despite the fact the data is right under their nose. Here's one of thousands of sites telling the truth.

Here is a link that might be useful: global cooling

This post was edited by Drew51 on Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 9:06

o

Hello Everyone !

Thank you Jodi for the kind compliments on the yard!! I do work hard and that is what I tried to do with my landscape.. I wanted to be able to come home and relax after my 12-14 days when I work. The best feeling is to come home and see the yard looking so soothing. It's my oasis from the crazy world we live in!! I can just go Into my own little world when I'm looking at my plants and seeing what has changed. LOVE it!!

I Just love my grandson.. He is the sweetest little guy!! He loves to help around the pool and gardens with me. I'm teaching him about swimming . If he falls in, he can swim to the side. Kind of like water babies class only with grandma teaching him!! ;-). We are like you.. We teach our kids to hunt, fish, and how to protect ... That's just the natural way in our family as well!!

Did I see your Plumeria is pushing more blooms? YES!! I'm happy for you!!

I wish I could put up more veggies.. I did make three batches of Strawberry Jam and my hubby did can some sweet and spicy yellow and green beans.

Those tomatoes look awesome and I agree.. There isn't anything better then a fresh tomato on a BLT. It is one of my favorites, besides Fajitas !! Love those babies!! ;-)

I have been busy as well.. Seems this thread grows over night... I have been working again and the hours seem to get away from me, but I also had company for a few days and we had a wonderful visit.

Al. Sounds like a great trip to CHI.. I'm sure you do enjoy seeing all of the great things they have to offer.. Love to visit the large cities, but I couldn't live there either!! The traffic must be awful.. Sounds like you did enjoy the show!! I bet the gardens are beautiful this time of the year. I bet the food is awesome there too!! Make me hungry for CHI pizza!! Lol.. Good stuff..

Hi Mike. Sorry to hear about Sissy . I hope she is feeling better. Im Going through the same with my mom. Seems like so many things happen all at once. But that is life right? Please get some rest.. That is what you need. You need a vacation to relax. I m Ready to relax myself after having guest visit.. They really are wonderful to have, but they sure do wear you out!! ;-)

I'm cleaning the pool area up and getting some plants cleaned up. I have a small outbreak of orange rust. Argh.. But I'll use my Bayer 3-1 to get rid of this mess..

Hope everyone is enjoying the summer!!

TYG. Thank you as well .. I hope you are enjoying your summer too!!! I will post a pic that I took of this beautiful bloom the other evening.. Just love this one.. It is called Kaneohe Sunburst. Makes me think " tropics.. Ahhh"

Love the scent of the blooms.. Anything fragrant!!

Hello to anyone I missed!!

Have a great summer..

I think I'll,have another cup of coffee just for the " team". Lol.. I'm on vacation now and its time to relax.. Always love that!!! ;-)

Take good care!!

Laura

o

Laura: Always good to see you back on here. I know you are on here as often as your time and travel permits. The photo is lovely, thanks very much for sharing it.

Al: Glad the bonsai show was fun and interesting for you. I'm sure if I ever went to one of those shows I would be addicted and come home with about 50 trees and no knowledge about how to take care of them. Probably better I don't get started!

Josh: Good luck getting ready for school. Sounds like you have had a hot and busy summer. I always wanted to work for a school district and have my summers "off" but of course I'd probably fill most of that time with activities and be worn out when school was ready to start.

Better make some coffee and see what I've missed on GW. Have a good evening all.

TYG

o

Hello, hello!
Thank you guys and gals for the support! :-)
School started last week for us....and today was the start of the second week. As usual, it was a last-minute call from my Principal....so I had a week to plan....which means that the planning is ongoing. I'm still hunting down items like a printer, overhead projector, et cetera. I do have a nice laser projector in the room, and I am familiar with the technology from previous classes.

Hot?! Yes, incredibly hot....but thankfully we've cooled down to the mid-90F's (95F today). And, hey, on Friday I actually got the A/C to work (complaint to the custodial staff, describing the melting students in my room).

Tomorrow, I introduce "Plot".....

Josh

o

Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 21:59

Cool photo Laura. I have been trying that technique of center metering to focus on flower, but strictly amateur results! White flowers often over expose. I have to try it on a darker flower. Not really a close up here either.

o

Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 22:02

Here's a closeup, not that dark around flower but exposure is right. I need to use my tripod to get better pictures. This was hand held.

o

I forgot to mention... Mike.. Thank you for the kind comments. I'm truly touched that I have met all of you !! You guys are wonderful people and I feel so blessed.. A special thank you to YOU! ;-)

Great pics Drew!! They are getting better,.. Close ups are hard o capture especially whites and true reds. Here is a white for you all to enjoy!!! Keep,at it!! You will get that perfect shot!!! Nice veggies too!!

Night. This is called Hong Kong. Very fragrant!!!

Laura

o

Just for kicks!!! Yellows are difficult. But this is a Elizabeth Thornton Lemon Drop. Fragrance is of lemons ... So nice!!!

Night.

Laura

o

Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 13:43

Working on trees between the showers - moving indoors to the cover of the garage as they come and go. There's a lot to be said for vacation days ..... even if it IS raining.

I'm feeling quite indolent today. 'INDOLENT', I like that word. It makes my laziness, which is really nothing more than taking a break before I get tired, seem almost classy.

Al

o

Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 13:44

Deleted duplicate post.

Wonder why it does that so often? I'm sure I only hit the 'post' button once. Have a good day, all.

Al

This post was edited by tapla on Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 13:53

o

Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 14:40

Laura,

The pics are perfect. Well i need a real camera. I had a real 35 MM last century, but times change. Photos are with a point and shoot, so unless I get an SLR, I can't get much better. Color saturation seems to be a problem with my current camera. I have to work on that.
Today's pepper harvest.
 photo peppers033.jpg

o

Thank you Laura, Jodik, and Josh.I can always count on you three to be true friends through thick and thin..

MIke

o

Hello, Mike!
Hey, buddy, you going to be around this Friday? I'll try to call you after work....hopefully while I'm enjoying a nice cool glass of ale. The temps are going back up......

Tomorrow is a long day...Back to School Night....I'll be at school from 7:30am until 9:00pm. Thankfully, Thursday will be a minimum day.

Josh

o

Josh : Wow back to school so soon? Kids here used to go back in mid -August but now they moved back to after Labor Day. When I was a kid no schools started before then. Times sure have changed since then !

TYG

o

Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 9:19

7:30 to 9:00 is a looong day!

Times have changed indeed. I'm going to date myself when I tell you I went to a 1-room little red brick schoolhouse that taught K-8 in one room, through 6th grade. I walked about a half mile to school each day, and in the fall would carry a shotgun to school in the morning. I'd put the shotgun in the teacher's closet, and give her the shells. She would put them in the desk drawer until 3:30, the end of the day. At day's end, I would ask for the shells and she would always tell me not to load the gun until out of the school yard. I'd hop the school fence and walk a few yards and hunt pheasants on the way home.

When I was old enough for the 7th grade, they build a 4 room school and shipped the jr highers off to another school about 9 miles away. One of the classes I had was woodshop, for 2 years. During that time, I refinished 2 or 3 guns that were brought to school fully assembled - and no one thought anything of it.

A different time, fewer people with less evil intentions, made for a different atmosphere. School shootings just didn't exist back then, and kids were reminded frequently they were responsible and accountable for their actions

Not meant to be a pro/anti-gun conversation argument-opening commentary - just illustrating how times change.

Al

o

Times have changed...

It is a sad time indeed.. I feel sorry for my children and grandson.

I remember just locking the screen door before I went to bed at night. ( hook & eye).

Times sure have changed. That's why I make sure I watch all of the time... Where I am , who is around... Things can happen anywhere, anytime, any area... We have to the care of ourselves...

Thanks for the story...

Laura

o

Oh, it was a long day, for sure! I finally pulled into the driveway at 9:30 this evening. I had a full house...standing room only, and the room was hot! At least the parents get a taste of the uncomfortable conditions that their children (and children's teacher are experiencing).

The high school where I work used to have a rifle team....ah, the good ol' days. Well before my time, of course. It's still fairly rural here, though, with lots of gun ownership.

Well, I need my beauty sleep. See you all later!

Josh

o

Hey Josh. Why no A/C at your school? With temps in the 90's each day I can't imagine working in a hot classroom full of kids. Must make things tough for everyone.

TYG

o

While driving to work heard another story on the radio regarding the ongoing drought in California. Sounds terrible, water levels have dropped something like 5 trillion gallons over the last few years due to continued drought and steadily increasing demand. I sure hope that changes very soon.

Good luck to Josh and everyone else living out west.

TYG

o

Hey, guys and gals, I'm on my prep right now (materials are all ready to go), and thought I'd post. It has been another hot week, with nights only slightly cooler....down to the low 60F's. I'm having work done at my house, however, and the compound for the ceiling has to dry between each stage of application, so the house is left hot throughout the day...which means that it's a real hassle to come home and start the cooling process late in the day. Monday, the ceilings should be done....and then I can start painting (got to save money where you can!).

TYG, there *is* A/C at the school, but the room hadn't been used recently and so the custodial staff had apparently forgotten to switch it back on. It's still not as cool as I'd like it, but I'm one of those folks who feels best when temps are in the 50F's :-)

As for the drought...yeah, we're feeling it. Poor planning and grave mismanagement on the part of politicians and bureaucrats is the main issue, as I'm sure you've heard. More water promised than actually available. There are many rivers and lakes and reservoirs where I live in northern California, but the thirsty southern half of the State is critical. Guess they shouldn't have been so damned cavalier about it.

I've been using soaker hoses buried beneath mulch, native plants to shade and lock moisture in the soil, and xeriscaping with natives and drought tolerant plants for many years now.

Josh

o

The only things that bother me about firearm ownership are the lack of same regulations and checks and balances nationwide, and what appears to be flagging critical thought, problem solving skills and common sense within the general public... other than that, and because of my own rural lifestyle, I fully support our 2nd Amendment rights.

We are a family of hunters... not looking for a trophy, but looking to place fresh meat on our table. We reserve the right to protect our livestock from predators, and as a tool, a firearm has other legitimate rural uses.

Why on earth anyone would need a bevy of weapons in an urban or suburban situation is a little beyond me. There's not much to hunt, no fear of large predators and no livestock to protect, etc. And why it would be a good idea to allow everyone to carry in public... another thing I just don't understand. Not everyone has the training or common sense capacity or experience to properly, responsibly, or safely operate such tools... and to me, that's what firearms are... they are tools to be used to perform certain jobs... nothing more, nothing less.

They must be treated with the respect, responsibility, and safety due any other tool with the possibility to be dangerous... much like chainsaws or machetes. Logic and common sense play huge roles in this issue, as do respect, responsibility, and safety... it's too bad we aren't seeing it everywhere.

It's also late in the game for climate change denial to be taken seriously. Humankind has been a terrible and greedy steward of this planet, and the irresponsibility and avarice with which we've been treating it are taking its toll. If this much isn't obvious to the naked eye of someone who has lived for around half a century, then it should be more than obvious after researching scientific findings and warnings. James Hansen of the Goddard Institute has been only one in many outspoken proponents of the need for human intervention and change, but like others, he has been continually silenced by government officials at the behest of their corporate masters... due to avarice and gluttony.

I am rather frightened for my children and their children, and the kind of world they will be forced to deal with. Unfortunately, stupid cannot be legislated against... not without removing our rights and freedoms, and initiating more control than is necessary, on a private and personal level.

Yes, Laura... my Plumeria is determined to keep blooming throughout the summer! It has a bevy of new buds, and opens a new bloom every other day, it seems! I just love its light scent and the pristine white flowers!

I also can't wait until next spring when I can safely correct its height, bringing it down to a more manageable size. I have decided to cut the tall, lanky stem into three pieces, and try for rooting the top two, while re-potting and refreshing the soil for the root section. If all goes well, I will have 3 Plumerias of good health!

I also need to bring my Chalice Vine back into manageable shape with severe pruning, and possibly a root pruning for the bottom part. The pieces seem to root readily, and it grows so fast that without timely pruning its length can get away from a grower!

Our move is taking some time to complete... we have a lot things to go through, a lot to move, and a lot of loose ends to tie up. Hopefully, we will be finished before any cold weather hits.

It's been quite a rainy summer, which we really did need... so I can't complain. The veggie gardens are producing well, and we've been pickling and canning like crazy!

Hope everyone is doing good... have a nice day!

o

Hey, Jodi!
Gun ownership is essential in urban and suburban areas to protect individuals from other humans - the two-legged snake, as we say. It is important for everyone to be able to resist any tyrannical force that presents itself at any time.

Josh

o

Josh: I think we are having some of your typical weather over here. Our temps are supposed to be in the low-mid 90's this week. Still very dry here too. Lots of storms hit the state last week but locally we only received a trace of rain, not enough to keep the dust down actually. No big soaking-type rains in sight.

Glad to hear your school does have A/C. I was wondering what was up with that. Thanks for explaining it. I can't imagine teaching a class of students much of anything when it's 90F+ outside and no A/C inside. Local schools here won't start until after Labor Day. Every few years school districts used to start classes earlier and earlier until some districts were starting school in early/mid August. Recently they changed the state laws so most public schools here don't start until after Labor Day.

Stay cool out there!

TYG

o

I would agree, Josh... what I don't agree with are the lax laws that allow anyone, without safety training, without background checks, and without proper respect for or common sense for the potential dangers of these tools to walk around carrying them.

The problem is... it's very tough to legislate against stupidity.

o

Thanks, good luck with the heat!

I wish we would wait to start until after Labor day....but lazy parents are pushing for year-round school so they can have year-round babysitters. It pisses me off. I spend more time with these students than their own parents do.

Josh

o

Hey Josh: Just heard about that Northern California earthquake this morning. Was that anywhere near you? Hope all is well out there.

TYG

o

Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 13:03

I was wondering if he felt it, too, though earthquakes have to be a pretty common occurrence, yes?

Al

o

Hey, guys and gals. Thanks for your concern! Mike also sent me a text asking if I was alright. Yes, we're totally unaffected. I'm 100 miles north (and slightly east) of American Canyon, CA, where the quake struck.

Jodi, I know you mentioned it previously, regarding different standards from state to state, but that's exactly the situation. If you want background checks, draconian registration and storage/transport requirements, then just move out here to California. Here, common sense gun owners are basically forbidden from carrying guns...meanwhile, criminals walk around with impunity. And we have more than our fair share of criminals, given the porous Border and the Democrat politicians encouraging Illegals to squat here. Those same politicians want to prevent actual citizens from being able to defend themselves.

Josh

o

What I don't want, Josh, is to end up living in a country where only the cops and criminals are armed because the right has been taken away from those who actually do respect such tools and treat them with responsibility and safety first... like my own family.

We've been hunting and trapping for generations... without one mishap. Why? Because like other tools, firearms can be dangerous without the proper knowledge and proper precautions taken. They have to be respected, and used with responsibility and safety.

Personally, I think the state I live in has some decent laws regarding firearms. I don't have a problem waiting a few days to pick up a purchase. If I need a handgun right this very minute, maybe I should take time to rethink why.

We don't own any handguns because we don't need them. They don't serve our purposes, and there's nothing we can't do with the shotguns, rifles, and bows we already have for hunting, and the dogs we employ for protection.

I'm not even going to comment on the immigrant angle, which I don't view the same way. I don't listen to rightwing rhetoric... no offense to you. Perhaps if problems were alleviated from a core standpoint... in other words, help fix the issues that force people to seek safety, security, and happiness elsewhere... they wouldn't need to leave their home countries.

I would say that what we need is law enforcement that will enforce firearm and other laws already on the books, but that would entail having law enforcement that actually did the job we pay them to do as public servants.

o

Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 10:13

Perhaps if problems were alleviated from a core standpoint... in other words, help fix the issues that force people to seek safety, security, and happiness elsewhere

We tried that in Iraq, it didn't go well. It could have. We are still in Germany and Japan, As the only way to control what goes on in other countries is to go in.

I'm not even going to comment on the immigrant angle

Good, as the subject is illegal immigrants.
Nobody ever had a problem with immigrants, well from about 1945 to 1962 they were not allowed, but times change.

o

I really don't object all that much to a waiting period on gun purchases, either...I've actually seen it help to prevent a slaughter (a few years ago in Grass Valley, CA). Interestingly, California's 10-day waiting period was just ruled against. Can't wait to hear more about.

Jodi, I don't listen to rightwing rhetoric, either. I actually live in this State, see it with my own eyes, pay for it with my taxes, bump into it on campus every day. These are the unfortunate facts of living in a Liberal-dominated State where (D) votes are more important than the security of citizens.....and let's not even get started on how the illegal aliens are bumping all the legal immigrants to the back of the line.

Another hot day out here in the West....I'm sweating like crazy already :-)

Josh

o

Josh, try to stay cool out there today. Maybe you will get lucky and have at least one "no sweat" day.

TYG

o

Thanks, TYG!
High of 97F today....so I'm still waiting on that cool day.... ;-)

Josh

o

Harvested some nice superhot peppers today.....
Douglah, Peach Bhut Jolokia, Red Bhut Jolokia, Carolina Reaper, and Yellow Brain Strain.....

Josh

o

No, Drew... we used military tactics in the Middle East, as we've always thrown our weight around, through one agency or another... whether above or below board... including coups that the public isn't supposed to know we were ever involved in. Take a closer look at history... real history, and not the revisionist kind.

We have to stop coveting resources everywhere else and work on cleaning up our own backyard... but that's partly another issue.

I'm talking about world leaders working together and actually implementing plans that help lift economic woes, invest in the future, squash corruption, discrimination, inequality, greed and gluttony, pollution, etc... including taking the economy out of the hands of drug cartels and gangs through legalization, which would change the game exponentially.

There's no real need to keep strong arming the rest of the world, and pretending we're this great "force for good". It's time to lay down arms and work toward saving our planet... because we don't happen to have a spare sitting in a closet somewhere. This is it, and we do have the wherewithal to slow the damage and save humanity... if we really want to.

If we, as a global community, could actually work together, there wouldn't be immigrants clamoring for a little security and peace of mind, a fresh start in a new land where opportunity is much better than it is in the nations these people come from.

You can't sit there and tell me you wouldn't do the very same thing for your family if you were in the dire straights most of these people come from. I know I'd do anything to make a better life for my children, including crossing borders that I never could should I attempt it all from a legal standpoint in my own nation.

And the helluvit is... opportunity isn't even level here. The playing field has been skewed for a long time... and still, we present a better picture for a future than many other nations in Central and South America can offer their citizens.

I'm not a Democrat... but I'm surely not about to follow the party that forgot what conservative actually means, offers no real solutions but strong arm tactics, and expects the public to conform to a fascist, theocratic plutocracy and quietly accept a crumb or two while the core of bigoted, misogynistic, white males alienates everyone not like them, tries for control of their perception of morality, and destroys our only planet in some ridiculous race to the top of Mt. Greed.

Very nice peppers, Josh... I wish I could eat hot items, but I just can't tolerate the heat. We've been pickling and preserving like crazy, including beans, squash, and other items... baking a ton of zucchini and other breads... and preparing to process apples from the Fuji tree. It's been a fairly productive year, with plenty of rain in our area. We hope to expand the gardens next growing season to include a lot more in variety!

o

Just a special Hello to Laura, Jodik and Josh!
So good to see you are all doing fine.

Josh, beautiful colors for a wonderful tatse! Enjoy..

Jodik, I hope to talk to you soon..Many hugs to you from all of use here and the same goes for you too Laura!

MIke

o

Hey, Jodi and Mike! Enjoying the three-day weekend, I hope. I'll be barbecuing with a friend for his 41st birthday this afternoon. He has four daughters, so he needs some male interaction. We'll barbecue steaks, have a couple drinks, and talk about the garden and the weather :-)

Yesterday, had a few cold beers at my sister's house....and ate two of those superhot peppers in the picture above. Hottest pepper I've ever had, that brutal bitter Carolina Reaper. It was awful. My sister took a picture of me right after I'd eaten a piece....

Josh

o

Sun, Aug 31, 14 at 17:44

Lol - no doubt the barley pop had some sway over that decision. The peppers even LOOK like they should be too hot to mess with. I can get all the heat I need from jalapenos and habaneros, thank you. ;-)

Just woke from a rare (for me) nap. Fell asleep trying to find something interesting on TV to record. I'm anxious to watch the newer Hobbit movie. Only 82 here, but with the humidity so high it seems much warmer. Rain off and on all day yesterday, and threatening all day today, but so far, we haven't seen any. Time to go fry up the B for BLTs. Oink!

Al

o

Sun, Aug 31, 14 at 18:00

Lol - no doubt the barley pop had some sway over that decision. The peppers even LOOK like they should be too hot to mess with. I can get all the heat I need from jalapenos and habaneros, thank you. ;-)

Just woke from a rare (for me) nap. Fell asleep trying to find something interesting on TV to record. I'm anxious to watch the newer Hobbit movie. Only 82 here, but with the humidity so high it seems much warmer. Rain off and on all day yesterday, and threatening all day today, but so far, we haven't seen any. Time to go fry up the B for BLTs. Oink!

Al

o

OMG.. Josh, I would be in the hospital trying to breath!!

The expression on your face says it all!! Noooo. Thank you!! ;-)

Love BLT's , Al. Hope they were tasty!! Haven't seen to many fresh tomatoes around our area. Next year I will plant them. Miss those tasty treats!!

Stay hydrated, Mike!! ;-)

Happy Labor Day to everyone!! Hope you all are relaxing and enjoying a time for rest...

Just finished watering half of the plants and I am soaked.. I'll cool off just a bit and then head out to finish up.

Jodi, Mike, TYG, Al , Josh, Drew and all.. Have a wonderful holiday!!!

Here is a picture of my Mariposa Blanca " White Butterfly Ginger". The fragrance is awesome.. I have never smelled anything as fragrant as this beauty!! Known as the " Cuban National Flower".

Take care all!

Laura

o

Now Josh. how many drinks did you have before that face almost blew up or hwo many ballons did you fill? lololol
Now way, you couldn't get me to put one to my mouth unless you forced it, then that would be turture..Amazing. My niece thinks you're cute..oh boy..llol

Laura...BEAUTIFUL as always..You never dissappoint us! By the way, that gardenia cutting you sent me is growing so beautifully, but does not want to bud..I don't get it.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

MIke

o

Al, I'm a fan of pretty much all things Tolkien....and that second Hobbit movie I thought was awful. Of course, I'm biased toward the books. The whole Dragon Riddle sequence was completely flawed, in my opinion.

Laura, eating these peppers is completely voluntary! I would never wish such a hot surprise on anyone. We had a great holiday week....and, what's even better, is the shortened work week ;-)

Mike, I'd only had one cold beer before that pepper....the beer is called "Arrogant Bast@rd" and it's right up my alley, hahaha. The beer is somewhat bitter, but after eating a pepper you can taste more of the sweetness. It's a cool trick, and that's why I bought the beer for the pepper tasting.

Oh.....how old is your niece, Mike? haha ;-)

Josh

o

Maybe I'd look even cooler with a guitar that I don't actually know how to play....well, I can strum an E and a D chord ;-)

Josh

o

The only thing going on here, besides a slow move north, carload by carload as we kind of transition from one lifestyle to another, one that will be more our pace considering age and health... though, grandchildren do help keep us young... has been caring for the worst case of poison ivy I've ever witnessed on anyone!

My poor husband, who's colorblind, not the gardener in the family, and not the best at telling one plant from another, stumbled into a HUGE patch of poison ivy that was choking a central AC unit... in clearing it out, he had no idea what he was working with, and ended up with blisters and ivy rash from head to toe! Even his eyes swelled, and his ears looked bigger! It was very worrisome for a while. I so wish I had been here to tell him what the plant was and not to touch it!

I've spent the past week or so nursing him through it with everything we can think of, and then some! Cool, soapy water to keep him clean, a gentle pat dry so as to not spread anything, an antihistamine for itching, Ivy Dry to dry up the blisters, a steroid to heal it all faster, and an antibiotic for any possible secondary infection. Constant changes in bedding, clothing, and towels... and socks on his hands at night so he can't scratch in his sleep.

I think he's the most poison ivy sensitive person ever! He looks at it, and it jumps right on him! Me, I can pull it out without gloves, and I never get a bit of rash! Go figure!

So, that's how we spent our weekend... tending to poison ivy. The good news is that he's healing well... almost over it. Just a bit of rash left at this point, but both eyes are open, the swelling is down, and he looks and feels so much better!

We'll be traveling north again Sunday with more stuff to drop off, attending a Grandparents Day thing at our grandchildren's school with them, and then heading back south to finish up the move. I can't wait until this move is finally over. I'm getting too old for this.

My container plants are surviving well, with my orchids and bulbs very happy to be in more sunshine with higher humidity, a more stable temperature, and they're growing like crazy at my son's house!

Josh, I don't know how you can eat such hot peppers! Just the thought makes me want to reach for the baking soda and water to cool any fire! :-)

I spoke with Mike yesterday, and he seems to be doing okay... I hope Mom feels better, after her hospital stay. She's such a lovely person, I hate to think of her not feeling her best. She's a funny lady with a great sense of humor, and so sweet... I like her so much, she's like my surrogate Mom, since my own is passed. Feel better, Mom... and Mike, keep taking good care of her! :-)

Laura, Al, Jodi, and everyone else... I hope the rest of the season is wonderful for you all... I have to look through my photos and find more of my Plumie in its first bloom, and also how well my other plants are doing at their new residence!

Well... time for more coffee! My lifeblood in the early morning!

You all take care... and happy gardening! :-)

o

Sat, Sep 6, 14 at 13:30

Hi, guys. Just finished getting 3 bu of tomatoes ready to pressure can. Started the project pretty early - around 5:30 They were pretty nice this year - we jarred up 77 qts from 3 bu. I'll be a while getting them through the canning cycle. This year I'll have 3 pressure canners going. 1 - 14 qt capacity and 2 - 7 qt canners. I used to use the big one for canning salmon & steelhead, but this year I'll use it for the maters on the big 60,000 BTU propane burner I use for deep frying fish and turkeys, + I use it for fajitas and stir fry - stuff you want a nice caramelization on.

Mother nature has been cooperative, too. Yesterday it was in the 90s with super high humidity (80%+). So far today it's only made it to 70*, and RH is showing at 55% with a nice breeze - won't even need to turn on the air. conditioning!!

I hope everyone is enjoying the weekend. I'm thinking I should be all done canning by 4 today, then I'll get to relax a bit ..... after everything is put away. Right now, it's time for a tall lemonade while I empty the canner the timer is telling me is ready. TTYall L8R.

Al

o

Sat, Sep 6, 14 at 14:41

I'm canning today too. I'm usually working weekends, but I'm sick so took the weekend off. I'm canning my own tomatoes. Looking at what to grow next year too. I'm growing dry tomatoes with few seeds. Amish paste, Costoluto Genovese sel Valente, and Russo Sicilian Togetta. All top rate sauce tomatoes. Russo is great for salsa too as it tends to hold it's shape. They are practically sauce right out of the food mill.

I like to try new pastes, and such each year. Some are just fantastic. I have a list of about ten paste types that kick butt, heavy producers, disease resistant etc. And about 100 others I would like to try. From seed to sauce, it doesn't get better!
I only make small batches at a time. This is the third time.
I also grew Amana Orange which is fairly dry, and super prolific plant. I'm processing those today too. I have not bought a tomato is about 10 years.
 photo 004-8.jpg

My wife likes cherry tomatoes, so I grow them too. I got about 2000 so far this year, crazy prolific plants.
 photo 003-7.jpg

At the start of the week i processed my peppers
Here's one day's harvest
 photo 007-4.jpg

o

Hope Everyone is doing well!!!

Tomatoes? Yum.....

Mike. Tell sissy, hello and that I hope she feels better!!!

We have had so much rain.. Saw this pic and had to share... This is what I felt like!! Lol.

Rained for two days and had flooding .. Argh. But the frogs loved it. This one isn't mine.. But the next one is..,

Night!!

Laura

o

I see my frog every night looking at my trees.. Dinner time!!

He actually likes me!! Lol!!,

Laura

o

Edited.

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Fri, Sep 12, 14 at 22:54

o

Mon, Sep 15, 14 at 18:14

We want your last message back! Just came here to tell you how neat it was & it's GONE!

photo SadFrog_zps50064296.jpg

Al

o

Bummer! Was that the 9/11 memorium?

Hope you're all well. The air is smoky here now....wildfires running out of control. And the temps are hot! Hot temps and smoke, however, usually means that rain will be coming soon.

This week, my Freshmen are starting the research paper on the Dust Bowl, in preparation for the novel Of Mice and Men.

Josh

o

OMG! So THAT'S why it's smelled of woodsmoke since yesterday!

o

Mon, Sep 15, 14 at 22:00

Hey, Laura - Josh! Yes - the 9-11 one.

No dust bowl here. I have a strip of lawn along the road where the snow plow loses the load off its blade as he comes around the corner - loses it right in my yard. So all the small bits of limestone that collect in the ice and snow get dumped in my yard. You prolly aren't surprised I have a pH issue in that area. EVERY year the grass dries out and dies - no matter how much I water it. This year, it's been so cool and we had so much rain that it stayer green as ........ grass, all summer long. Not a puff of dust to be seen anywhere about.

We've had some nights in the upper 40s, but all my tropical trees are still out roughing it. I keep hoping for the month of Indian Summer we usually get after the first chilly weather in September. The shorter their indoor stay the better I/they like it.

Al

o

Zen, where are you located? There are several big fires burning right now.....

Al, our grass here is dry and crunchy. I've been spending most of my water on the hot peppers....

Josh

o

Tue, Sep 16, 14 at 10:37

Man those look hot! Yikes! I have come to really like the scotch bonnets. I probably will only grow them in the future for hot peppers. Having any pepper fresh is really awesome.
Probably my favorite crop is berries. i really enjoy berries. Well peaches too. Nothing bets a ripe peach off your own tree. The store bought are so poor, picked early and ripen off the tree, just not good in anyway.
Daily harvest of raspberries is strong as the fall crop comes in.

Plants are nice and healthy
 photo 002-12.jpg

photo 029-1.jpg
 photo 001-15.jpg

o

Hi Al..

Here is the post again...

I took it down because I was worried some have mixed emotions. Here it is again..

Thank you!!

September 11, 2014
7 am

Life does go on in many strange ways. Today I am flying with this First Officer who's friend 's father was killed on American Flight 11 on September 11, 2001.

Yesterday ( Thomas Jr. ) took his girlfriend to the memorial to be there today to hear his fathers name read. Like he does every year.. He grew up to be like his dad. Took flying lessons , became a pilot and is now A pilot for American Airlines . He went to the memorial to ask his fathers permission to ask for her hand . He found his fathers name on the memorial pool, bent down on one knee in full uniform and purposed to her! How is that for being a strong , proud son who respects his dad to do this? It breaks my heart, but time moves forward and we all must go on... This was just so unexpected when my FO and I were talking this morning. I asked if I could share the story. He was so glad that I wanted too. Touches my heart.

I fly over the new Freedom Tower quite often and will give my passengers a tour of Ellis Island , Govenor's Island, Lower Manhatten, Central Park and Midtown as we fly into LGA. Even still, I will always remember the beautiful Twin Towers.. " Windows On The World". I will never forget...

My contribution today is to share this wonderful story with you all!

I will also grab my bags and get back on my plane for the rest of the day!

Here is a picture of Thomas Jr and of his fathers name . FO Thomas F. McGuinness.... Rest in peace.

Thank you all and God bless you and your family!!

Laura

o

Tue, Sep 16, 14 at 23:16

Your post presents food for personal reflection and a very moving picture for the mind's eye. I'm glad you reposted. Thanks, Laura.

Al

o

@greenman - N. Nevada. Not too far from the CA border. It's been clearish in the mornings (yesterday and today) but in the evenings the wind seems to shift or something, and the haze and woodsmoke odor come back. The first couple of days it smelled of woodsmoke and was hazy pretty much all day, but its been very windy in the mornings since. Maybe that's blowing it away until it dies down in the late afternoon/early evening.

o

Zen, I think you're in for a lot more smoke.....the King Fire is racing northeast toward north Lake Tahoe. The fire tripled in size overnight - it's now burned 70,000 acres. We had a tiny bit of rain early this morning, which cleared the air.....but no telling when the fire will slow. Good news, though, they arrested a suspect believed to have started this fire.

Here's some good news....my Scilla is blooming. Al gifted me some bulbs a few years back, and sent them to many other friends at GardenWeb, too. I know Laura grows some (hey, Laura!). Cheerful little plant. I put it under a bench, fertilize infrequently, and otherwise let it be.

Josh

o

Hello,everyone!!!

Al.. Thank you for yours kind words. I really appreciate you wanting me to repost. Means a lot...

Josh!! What a beauty!! I love the one from Al ! mine has bloomed again as well!! I still have the other silver for you! Please send me your address and I'll put it in the mail as soon as I know where to mail ..it's different from the one Al gave us... Al's is more green and deep. This one has silver and purple. You will enjoy having one of each!! ;-)

Take care everyone ,,,

Laura

o

Greenman, we don't seem to be getting any more of the smoke or haze. We had a little rain day before yesterday that seemed to clear the air a bit - but it was just a little bit. We never get much rain, it's a desert, after all.

But there was little or no smoke or haze yesterday and nothing visible here yet today. I've seen conflicting reports about containment. cdfdata.fire.ca.gov isn't loading so I assume that website is overloaded.

o

....that's because the smoke is all hanging out here today :-)
It's awful. I've had a headache for two days. The fire is only 10% contained, I've heard.

Josh

o

Sorry dude! But if the winds have died down (as they seem to have here) it could help with containment efforts.

o

It's definitely helping....as is the higher humidity.
Thanks!

Josh

o

Laura, that ia a very moving story and quite a pic..It also shows you have a good heart and I appreciate you sharing that with us..

I also love the frogs..You know me and frogs..Mom is doing better and thank you for your kind words) I will tell her you asked for her.

It must be strange flying over New York. I can only imagine all the thoughts and visions that run through your mind. Hugs to you
It was good hearing from you the other day. We love you.

Josh, that is one beauty of a plant..Unfortunately mine died and I miss it..But I do have one I have had success with and I am not sure of what kind it is. Some variegated sport..Looking forward to your call and nice peppers you have there. It's amazing how you can be so hot and us so cold all these months...Maybe soon the jet stream will favor cooler for you and warmer for us for a change)
Sorry I missed your call last night. I was sick.

Have a a wonderful day all. I enjoy reading here

photo DSCF6547_zpsab295d76.jpg

photo DSCF6546_zpsaabf461f.jpg

MIke

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Thu, Sep 25, 14 at 9:26

o

Hey, Mike! Glad you and mom are doing better! No worries, we'll get in touch soon. Maybe tomorrow evening I'll get a hold of you?

I like your Scilla....the leaves look really large!

This morning we had a much needed rain! A real rain! It knocked the smoke out of the air and helped contain the King Fire that has burned around 95,000 acres.....24 miles from my house as the crow flies.

Josh

o

Josh, how goes the fire?

Out, one would hope ...

o

I just saw a report that the apple picking season in California has been cancelled because of drought. Very sorry to hear that. The drought and these fires are a real tragedy for all who live out there.

TYG

o

Yeah, it's been pretty bad. We do have apples available, of course, maybe just not enough to share with the rest of the country ;-)

As of last night, when another big rain came through, the King Fire was 78% contained, but not 'out' yet. 97,000 acres burned.

In other news, this plate of 50 Red and Peach Ghost Peppers (Bhut Jolokia) is sure to set a few more fires :-)

Josh

o

Jodik...I was reading up thread and read that to my Mom...She wa sgrateful for your concern and send her love to any that have asked about her here, the usual bunch)

Josh I am just now seeing your pic!! Boy, I ddin;t thin you so tall and looking do dabber with that guitar...Has anyone ever heard your voice in songs other than me yet? They are mssing out if not so) Look at all the colored food here. It's very rainbowish...Those peppers look so, should I say tasty?

Josh, and they keep on coming..lol
Thank God you got rain..It's funny that when you get rain there and cool temps, we get warmer than usual..Like the sea saw effect. I was beginning to worry about your area..
I will text you right after this.Sorry I missed your call yesterday..

Jodik, I will be checking up on you soon..I'll call probably this week.
Laura..)))) I will text you soon too

MIke

o

Our fruit basket california is crippled and it makes me sick. But hey, NY still has the best in the world:) hey greenman....

o

OK, I just need to vent a bit.

The neighbor behind me has planted trumpet vine which is pulling the back fence down. When I discovered that the landlady here had paid someone to sink heavy duty steel fence posts in to prop the fence up, I suspected there was a problem with removing that plant. It is on the property line and it is CONSTANTLY sending shoots and vines up into the yard. There is damage to the shed back there from the rootlets.

And those vines are HARD to pull up. They have grown 30' UNDER the plastic, rocks and astroturf to come up in the roses at the corner of the back of the house.

I pull them every time I see them, and it is HARD work that I am really not up to.

So I finally broke down and called the extension agency to find out what I could do about the starts in my yard, because Roundup does not kill them. Or at least they keep coming back up from the parent plant.

So then they told me what I could use - and then they told me I was NOT ALLOWED TO USE IT! Because it could damage the mother plant. Though its my bet that the herbicide they suggested doesn't actually work or I'd have found something about it online before this.

Its not that I already didn't have a strong suspicion that I was at the mercy of my neighbor. It's mostly that this woman had, it turns out, herself planted trumpet vine and REFUSED to acknowledge how invasive it is, how damaging to other people's property, and how hard it is to kill it. She actually told me, and seems to believe, that a simple root barrier would put an end to the problem. She refused to acknowledge how expensive and difficult it would be to put down a root barrier that trumpet vine can't breach. And even though vines are coming up 30 to 40' from the location of the plant, I can't use any kind of herbicide that would actually kill it because it is illegal for me to "damage" the neighbor's plant - even though it is causing all sorts of problems and damage when it comes up on my property.

Not only that, but she told me that something I had had on my list of xeriscaping plants - Russian sage - is also highly invasive and will come up 30' or more from where it is planted.

Now my guess is that Russian sage is not actually as invasive as Trumpet vine because I will bet you ANYTHING it is easier to kill when it does come up where you don't want it. Say, by mowing.

I doubt that Russian sage has ever pulled a house or tree down.

So now I have to go out and figure out whether or not Russian sage is actually invasive or not, to the point where a neighbor would be as inconvenienced by it as I am by that Trumpet vine. And I WON'T be asking at the extension agency because I clearly can't trust the information they disseminate - if they're going to tell people trumpet vine is not invasive here when it demonstrably is.

ACK ACK ACK!

I suppose I should feel better now. Hopefully I will soon. Maybe I should just go back to bed ...

This post was edited by zensojourner on Thu, Oct 2, 14 at 15:40

o

Anyone tried drip system for container plants with 5-1-1 mix and 1-1-1 gritty mix? How is the result? Will away from my plants for several weeks.

o

Works fine as long as the drippers evenly water the entire surface of the mix....

Josh

o

zen I feel your pain about the trumpet vine......I too have done battle with this plant and it is not an easy fix! And all my responsibility, as I was one that planted it as a hummingbird attractant.

First, when the petals begin to fall on the spent flowers, they make an incredible mess - they get wet and smooshy and moldy and nasty to clean up. And a happy trumpet vine produces a LOT of flowers. And then there are the root shoots.......oy vey!! Mine was planted along a fence in an enclosed patio and those shoots popped up everywhere, in between all the pavers. And they were tough to get out. After I chopped down the mother plant, they still appeared for several years.

If they appear in an area where you mow, that will help. Otherwise I suggest you use the same method used to control escaped/aggressive running bamboo. With a flat edged shovel, preferrably sharpened - go along your property line and sever the roots. Pull up as best you can all those on your side of the fence. Once you have gotten that accomplished, you can use a root barrier like they use for bamboo control. It WILL contain the trumpet vine spread. And this is such a tough plant that removal of all the roots on your side of the fence will not bother the mother vine at all.

And I wouldn't fault the extension agent for telling you that trumpet vine is not invasive - technically it is not. The correct terminology of "inasive" is a non-native plant that escapes cultivation and invades natural areas. Campsis radicans is a NA native and while widely naturalized in some areas of the country, not a listed invasive species. It is a very aggressive spreader, aka garden thug, but not invasive.

Neither is the Russian sage by definition. It too can spread via reseeding but it has not shown an inclination to expand into natural areas and outcompete native species. In fact it was 1995's Perennial Plant of the Year, a designation that would not allow any "invasive" plants.

There is a BIG difference between an 'invasive' plant and an aggressive garden spreader - although both can be headaches, the latter is typically localized to individual gardens and can be relatively easily maintained.

Well, maybe not so easily with the trumpet vine :-))

o

Sat, Oct 11, 14 at 16:18

Hi, Pam! Nice to see you here. Fires all out now, Josh?

I've been really busy the last few days - helping a crew build an all glass windscreen at a home on our Saginaw Bay. I'm not used to working in the field, and 2 days of hard labor from first light to dark reminds me of my age. When I got home last night, I had to "tough it out" just to walk up the stairs instead of crawl. Lol - I had a bite for dinner, and after, my wife told me I fell asleep in the middle of changing TV channels (good thing there are remotes, eh?). I've never done that. I did take a couple of muscle relaxers to help with the aches, so that might have had something to do with it.

I need to try to remember to take some pictures. This glass screen has no framing members, just 2 super HD stainless steel clamps at the bottom to hold the glass. The clamps have a heavy threaded stainless dowel that gets embedded into 3"x12" holes drilled into the concrete and filled with hydraulic cement. Getting everything to line up perfectly is a challenge, but that's where the fun is - in the challenge.

I hope the weather holds so we can finish up come Monday. We had a 3/4 gale Thu, and Friday was breezy, but not as windy. We're all very wind-burned and tired - glad for the weekend. I'm glad I'm watching over the project, because I've learned when a worker says "that's close enough" or "that's good enough" ........ it means close enough or good enough when the boss isn't around.

I hope everyone is in the middle of a good weekend. Take care.

Al

o

Hello, Al!
Sadly, another fire struck up this morning in the high foothills....very steep terrain with hardly any access for equipment. Still waiting to hear more.

And last week, someone set 7 spot-fires (throwing burning paper out of their vehicle) along interstate 80....which shut down the freeway for hours! That fire was 4 miles from where I live, although thankfully the wind was blowing in the opposite direction.

I think we should hang the people that set intentional fires.

They're not human...they're Orcs.

Josh

o

This will probably be the last harvest of significance for the season.....just a few pods on the plants ripening now, and I doubt the green pods will have time to finish.....

Josh

o

Sun, Oct 19, 14 at 14:20

Looks like a LOT of heat there! I like stuff really hot. I have no problem eating raw jalapenos, and I usually fortify the La Victoria hot sauce I buy by the case with several drops per bottle of something insanely hot, but I've never been able to figure out a good use for some of those over the top hot peppers like you guys grow. ;-)

This is the latest I've EVER had my tropical trees still outdoors. I'm pushing my luck, so they're coming in today. I dosed them with Bayer 3-in-1 last week, and again this AM, so I think I'm good to go. It'll prolly take the rest of the afternoon, so TTYL.

Al

o

Thu, Oct 23, 14 at 17:28

Has anyone else discovered that the "Most Recent Posts" column has broadened their horizons? I find myself noticing threads there I've never been to with titles that leave me thinking I might have something positive to add to the conversation. More often than not, when I investigate I find that to be the case and contribute.

I just wish they would have 2 or 3 separate boxes so the Garden Forum topics would be separated from the topics that belong to the Home and Nature forums.

Hard frosts here for the last 2 nights, but warming back up again. I was going to bring in my tropical,. but after looking at the forecast, I decided they could stay out until the weekend.

I took tomo off (REALLY needed a long weekend) and I know it's early, but I do hope everyone has a good weekend. Take care.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here