Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
container gardening

Posted by Infromthecold las vegas (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 23:26

Moved here from MN August 2012 have redone our front courtyard & it is doing well. My problem is a small patio about 6x16 on north side of house...it gets morning & late afternoon sun. I cannot seem to keep hanging baskets or annuals in containers alive. I have to hand water. I would like to try more container gardening there but not sure what to try. I saw a picture of containers with succulents that was attractive Are some better than others for containers? We are in a townhouse in Sun City so cannot expand. thanks for any ideas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: container gardening

Succulents are wonderful for container plantings! I grow a selection myself and prefer them in containers, simply because they don't appreciate our wet and sometimes too cold winters. In containers, I can just schlepp them indoors or into a more protected setting. Doubt you would need to worry much about that in Las Vegas, however.

Pretty much any succulent can be grown in containers....just keep in mind some get big and therefore often very heavy and others can develop serious weaponry in the way of thorns or sharp, dagger-like points. Look for a very durable and fast draining soil mix, like Al's gritty mix or comparable cactus mix. These also tend to be pretty lightweight, which is a help. And most succs have rather shallow root systems as well, so big pots not always needed (although tall is often great for staging and overall aesthetics).

I'd consider a visit to your local independent garden center and see what they have in stock. Likely they will have some pre-planted containers you can use for inspiration but they will certainly have a section of appropriate plants. And I would not necessarily limit it to only succulents. There are lots of very drought and heat tolerant plants suited to containers. It's just that most annuals or typical hanging basket plants are not :-)

o

I...good advice above. Well-draining soil is most important. However, the exception is hanging baskets. Because of their design...they dry out much quicker.

o

thanks for info on soil for succulents

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here