Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pink Jasmine leaves and stems turning brown

Posted by anchita 8a (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 8, 06 at 23:56

I had bought a Pink Jasmine in a gallon container earlier this year from Home Depot. I had separated the two intertwined vines (with separate base stems but somewhat tangled roots) of the store bought plant and transplanted each of them into separate clay pots. Both the vines did okay at first, though they lost their blooms and buds soon after transplanting. Since then, they've never thrived but have survived. In the last two or three weeks though, even their main stems have started to turn brown along with their leaves. Initially I had removed the parts that were turning brown, but now I'm afraid I might lose the entire plants if I continue to do so.

The pots are placed on a patio which gets sun in the morning, then shade in early afternoon, and again some sun in late afternoon. I've been watering them every other day or so, when the soil appears to be dry about two inches down.

Can anyone suggest what the problem might be? Any tips for saving the plants will be highly appreciated!

Thank you,
Anchita

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pink Jasmine leaves and stems turning brown

It could be that when you separated the 2 plants, you lost alot of the root system of each and thus the plants are compensating by aborting some of the existing growth. Meanwhile, they're both probably growing brand new roots (ie., often when nothing is happening on top, something is happen underground). I think patience is in order and hopefully some new growth will sprout soon.

o

• Posted by anchita DFW, TX USDA Zone 7b (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 11, 06 at 18:41

Thanks, jenny_in_se_pa. I will try and be patient and hopefully with some cooler weather in fall, things might improve. It's just that the gradual decline of the vine in the past 3-4 months has made me nervous...

o

Check carefully for mealybugs under those little "wings" at the bases of the petioles. Mealies like this plant.

o

They could also be going dormant in your area.For my area9S.Calif) mine bloom more in the first part of the year.Here's a picture of mine in full bloom.Not a very good picture,but you get the idea.
Kathi

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o

• Posted by anchita DFW, TX USDA Zone 7b (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 16, 06 at 1:55

No bugs to be seen, stressbaby. I'll keep an eye out for them though, just in case.

Kathi, that's BEAUTIFUL!!

It seems to be too warm here for them to be going dormant... unless they're stressed by these high temperatures!

I guess I'll just keep them a little shaded and watered while I keep my fingers crossed.

o

mine is on the west side of my house,so get only late afternoon sun.We did have some on the south side of the house,but they didn't do as well.Seemed too hot for them.
Kathi
Kathi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here