Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
5-1-1 substitute

Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 2, 12 at 1:49

I have a buddy with very sandy soil. He is growing most of his vegetables in containers in a so-so compost mix. He then takes the spent soil each year and amends the garden with it. Since his sandy soil would benefit from the addition of calcined clay, I was wondering if he could make a 5-1-1 with turface instead of perlite for his containers? I know the turface holds more water, but we are in L.A.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 5-1-1 substitute

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 2, 12 at 2:11

I'm thinking maybe a 2:1 of composted wood:turface.

o

Sun, Sep 2, 12 at 2:22

I'm thinking maybe a 2:1 of composted wood:turface.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 2, 12 at 9:50

That would work fine. We used to have a contributor (Justaguy) that grew in pine fines + Turface - no peat or perlite. I think he was using about a 5:1 ratio, but the ideal ratio is going to depend almost entirely on the size of the bark you're using.

Al

o

Josh too uses no peat at all in most of his 5.1.1 mixes. In fact, I think he hates peat, right Josh/ :-)

Mike

o

Count me in as a peat hater. Btw, my hydroton + bark fines is doing really well. I'm getting worried it might be too fast for the smaller containers I chose this time :D

o

Hey guys!

I've used straight bark and turface, and didn't care for the results so much.
I've used bark, turface, and perlite, and enjoyed the results much, much more.
I've used bark, red lava rock, and perlite, and I probably prefer that compliment
of ingredients for my growing conditions - slightly less moisture retention in the
Summer, but healthier for my plants during the Winter.

Peat has a place, certainly. I think it's a better choice than Coir in a mix, as well.
However, I avoid Peat in mixes that are meant to last longer than a single season.
For my peppers and my deck tomato, I do use a *peat-based* potting mix in lieu
of the peat fraction in the 5-1-1.

Josh

o

Sun, Sep 2, 12 at 20:43

Great thanks everyone. We are going to give it a shot.

Greenman, that extra moisture retention sounds good to me. We are in SoCal.

o

Give it a try.
At first, I found that I underwatered the bark and turface; then, I found that the mix
was holding moisture for longer than I wanted. Also, I wasn't as consistent with fertilization
then, and so the plants would become chlorotic, then I would have to catch up. Thus my caveat.

If you are diligent with with watering and fertilization, give it a try.

Jos

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here