Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Earthtainer Cost Saving Ideas?

Posted by J.Pinter none (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 18, 11 at 6:20

I'm thinking about building some earthtainers for the spring, but the cost of building one from all new materials had me looking for some ideas about making them cheaper and possibly sturdier.

I'm thinking I could reduce the cost by not cutting apart another rubber tote to make the 'base' and supports that hold the soil above the reservoir, which seems like a potential potential point of failure. I like the idea of using short sections of PVC pipe or conduit stood on their end as supports for the soil platform, but I'm not sure what to use as the platform itself.

At first I thought about galvanized steel for the 'base' since it's pretty resilient while still being easy to fabricate with the power tools I have available, but I worry about zinc leeching in constant contact with the reservoir.

Have you been down this road before? Do you have any ideas? I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Earthtainer Cost Saving Ideas?

Use 5 gallon buckets. Mother Earth News has a good article on how to do it. See link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mother Earth News

o

wertach, Thanks for that link! Reading it now, looks like that might be just what I'm looking for.

Slightly off topic: Has anybody had reasonable success growing watermelon in containers? I was thinking about giving 'Moon & Stars' a shot when spring rolls around, but the info I've found seems kind of inconclusive about how practical it is.

Thanks again!

o

high density polyethylene (HDPE) is what i use for the soil bench. and you can grow watermelon in a swc.
this is one of my (motherbox). first year in the experimental stages.
pumpkin plant two months ago.
Photobucket

pumpkin three weeks ago.

Photobucket

o
Wow

terrybull, That pumpkin is amazing!

Do you find your HDPE anywhere special?

o

i got mine from farmtek and i used 1/4 inch thick. you could get by with 1/8 inch for a smaller container. there are alot of other places that sell it in smaller sheets. just do a search. farmtek calls it polymax.

o

You could usw a tin can with both ends cut out in place of the PVC to holr the bench

o

"but I'm not sure what to use as the platform itself"

Do a further search for self watering containers or SWC.

You can cut out most of the lid center to fit in the container and support it on 5-6 lengths of 3" diameter pvc. This will make a single wall SWC. There are several other successfull variations using one container and the lid.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here