Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamasan_gw

braided hibiscus tree

mamasan
16 years ago

We are moving in a month and I want to know if replanting my 2 hibiscus trees so close to winter is ok. Also how do I care for them outside, they are too big to take in the house.

Comments (14)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    16 years ago

I'll assume they're tropical and you should assume they will not survive an Illinois winter unprotected (that means they should overwinter in a heated building or greenhouse) - because they surely won't.

Al

• hillbillygardener
    16 years ago

mamasan, I see from your post that you list Illinois as your state of residence and I will assume the Hibiscus is currently growing outside since you mentioned digging it up. This being so, you can assume that this is a "Hardy Hibiscus" if it has survived a winter or more. This being said, yes you can dig the tree (shrub) safely and transplant it this time of year. There are a few things you should consider before you do so and I will be happy to help you further if you like. Please drop me a line if you would would like more info.

• mouse33
    16 years ago

my husband bought me a braided habiscus tree I live northeast massachusetts its a symbol of the tropics and hawii state flower. how do I care for it.

16 years ago

Give the roots some room - it's an aggressive grower. Evenly moist (not wet) soil that drains well - full sun.

Fertilizer (This from a recent post I left on another thread: "If you expect a fertilizer to help optimize bloom production on this plant, you NEED to insure it's low in phosphorous (the middle number) or you can look for a high % of aborted buds or minimal budset. Do not use anything labeled bloom-booster (or similar) on hibiscus. There is also no need to pay the long dollar for anything labeled "hibiscus food/fertilizer". Miracle Gro all purpose soluble fertilizer in the 24-8-16 or 12-4-8 blend works wonderfully on these plants, and its performance can be enhanced by adding 1 tbsp of potash per gallon of soil at potting/repot time or including a K supplement like ProTeKt 0-0-3 in your fertilizer regimen. Ca and Mg are also very important to the plant, so you need to be sure they are included in the soil (dolomitic [garden] lime) when you purchase it, or add it yourself - the same applies if/when you make your own soils."

Al

• mouse33
    16 years ago

how often do I change my pot and what size pot do I use for my braided hibiscus tree.

16 years ago

Guideline: If you're only potting up (as opposed to repotting with root work) go up 1-2 pot sizes (2-4") when roots begin crawling over the surface of the soil and out the drain hole.

Al

• whobug1
    15 years ago

I just purchased a Braided Hibiscus Tree. I would like to leave it on our deck in a pot. Do I need to transplant it in a different size pot or can I leave it the way it is. I do realize I will need to bring it in this winter. Also, what do I need to do for the dead flowers am I pinching them off or do I leave it alone because its a tree?

15 years ago

As I think back on all the tropical Hibiscus I've bought, they've all been very tight in the container & in need of being bumped up. All 4 I purchased this year were very tight & all got potted up right away.

I always deadhead hibiscus & remove any yellowing leaves to keep them tidy looking. They are heavy feeders, and if you expect a fertilizer to help optimize bloom production on this plant, you NEED to be SURE it's low in phosphorous (the middle number) or you can look for a high % of bud aborts or minimal budset. Do not use anything labeled bloom-booster or similar on hibiscus. There is also no need to pay the long dollar for anything labeled "hibiscus food/fertilizer". Miracle Gro all purpose soluble fertilizer in the 24-8-16 or 12-4-8 blend works wonderfully on these plants (as will Foliage-Pro 9-3-6), and its performance can be enhanced by adding 1 tbsp of potash per gallon of soil at potting/repot time or including a K supplement like ProTeKt 0-0-3 in your fertilizer regimen. Ca and Mg are also very important to the plant, so you need to be sure they are included in the soil (dolomitic [garden] lime) when you purchase it, or add it yourself - the same applies when you make your own soils.

Al

• bonne_lass
    15 years ago

I purchased a Braided Hibiscus this spring and it was doing fine until the past week. The leaves have started to turn yellow and fall off, they have brown spots on the underside as well. I have not had a hibiscus before so I am not very knowledgable about their care other than water well, adequate sized pot, be cautious of fertilzer as some produce more "greenery" than blooms, and bring it in before frost as it is a tropical plant. Can anyone give me some insight as too what is happening to it?

15 years ago

How pot-bound is it? What fertilizer (NPK %s) are you using - how much - how often? When you water, are you watering the leaves, too?

Al

• veec-pottedgarden
    15 years ago

Hi, I asked a question last week with no reply as of yet, so I have some new information. The tree is still outside from its repotting form inside to outside and now it is doing well... leaves are growing back etc... however, because i live in rhode Island the temp. is getting cool at night fall. So do I repot the plant (that has grown to like its new home)now & move it back inside or just move the pot inside?

• User
    15 years ago

Veec,
    How cold is it getting at night?
    It will be fine as long as it doesn't go under 40 degrees at night.
    If it does, are there any signs that it has outgrown the pot you have it in?
    Are there lots of roots sticking out of the top of the pot?
    Are the roots growing out of the bottom of the pot?
    Do you have to water it more often?
    If the answer to all of the above is no, then don't repot it now.
    If nite temps are below 40, take it inside now.
    Be sure to put it in a real bright sunny window.
    Over the winter, make sure it gets enough sun and give it showers weekly in your bathtub. (It loves them)
    Before you bring it in, spray it down real good with a hose to get all the buggies off first.
    GOod Luck!

• pattypoo1234
    14 years ago

Hi, I have a braided hibiscus that about 4 years old. It has been repotted and is not root bound. I gave it some fertilizer and did not know that if it was high in phosphate that it would make it not bloom and it is definetly not blooming. My question is how do I make it start blooming again and get all that other stuff out of it? Thanks

14 years ago

Flush flush flush the soil. Saturate the soil & let it rest for a few minutes, then, at 5-10 minute intervals, flush the soil repeatedly. You can't flush it too much. After you do that, if you think the plant is in jeopardy of root rot because of a heavy soil. Depot it & set it on newspaper over night. Next day, or a couple of days later, fertilize with a 3:1:2 ratio fertilizer.

Did you read the fertilizer regimen I follow upthread a few posts, Patty? It really works well:

"They are heavy feeders, and if you expect a fertilizer to help optimize bloom production on this plant, you NEED to be SURE it's low in phosphorous (the middle number) or you can look for a high % of bud aborts or minimal budset. Do not use anything labeled bloom-booster or similar on hibiscus. There is also no need to pay the long dollar for anything labeled "hibiscus food/fertilizer". Miracle Gro all purpose soluble fertilizer in the 24-8-16 or 12-4-8 blend works wonderfully on these plants (as will Foliage-Pro 9-3-6), and its performance can be enhanced by adding 1 tbsp of potash per gallon of soil at potting/repot time or including a K supplement like Pro-TeKt 0-0-3 in your fertilizer regimen. Ca and Mg are also very important to the plant, so you need to be sure they are included in the soil (dolomitic [garden] lime) when you purchase it, or add it yourself - the same applies when you make your own soils."

Al