Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adding Water Soluble Fertilizer to SWC

Posted by greenthumb2011 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 6, 11 at 9:26

I started my first SWC (Self Water Container) garden on my patio this year and it has been doing quite well thus far. The question I have is does any one else add any fertilizer to the water chamber when filling? I have just started to add 1/2 strength once a week for the past 2 weeks and it seems to be giving good results.(Every 4 days I add 2 gallons of water to the resivoir in my 30 gallon containers) If you do how much do you add and how often?
Thanks for the Help Happy Growing
P.S.- I will be posting an over view of my garden experience this year shortly if you want to check it out I just want to take some new pictures.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adding Water Soluble Fertilizer to SWC

I have my tomatoes in a SWC this year. They are doing well, using 2 gallons of water a day. When planting I put a cup of timed release fertilizer in the mix, the type claimed to last up to 9 months, 18-6-12. Because I have some fertilizer made in stick form to be used in a "root fertilizer tool" which I threw away years ago, I am dropping one stick a month down the filler pipe. I am not sure it is helping, but it has not hurt. Al

o

i do it all the time but it is for the micro nutrients. my fert strip only has the NPK.

o

When I had SWCs, I added FP to the water reservoir whenever the leaves looked like they needed a hit. Worked well.

o

I originally put so much dang fertilizer (about 1.5 cups)in my tomato (Rutgers) 5 gal SWC, I couldn't see adding ANY to the water. I used MG Shake and Feed originally which had some micros in it. The thing grew like crazy, and was darker green than any other plant I grew in the ground or container. It also flowered and fruited really well.

o

"darker green than any other plant ... flowered and fruited really well"

Yes. Some books say if you put in too much nitrogen fertilizer it will stunt the fruiting. I have never, ever seen this. The greener the leaves the more fruit has always been my experience.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here