Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tenger_gw

best soil for self watering container

tenger
9 years ago

Hi! I'm very new to gardening, and I've transplanted my long beans, celery and basil 3x, I'm so confused of what soil to use! First transplant I used miracle gro garden soil , after reading and watching youtube videos I realized my mistake. Next I watched this video on youtube saying I could use 50% garden soil (or compost, topsoil etc) and 50% sphagnum peat moss, I followed this because I didn't want to waste my garden soil. Now I'm confused again because based on my readings online and watching youtube videos I guess my mixture retains too much moisture and could still lead to root crop. I need help!

I was thinking of making a self watering container where there is a "wicking/capilliary system" (container A for water and toped with container B with soil), what is the best soil to use for this kind of SWC for my vegetables (cucumber, climbing beans, broccoli, lettuce, celery and jalapeno?)

Another type of SWC i want to use (to save on container) is to bury a soda bottle in my container as an irrigation or just something like this (see photo), what is the best soil to use here?

I hope someone could advice me, thanks!

This post was edited by tenger on Fri, Sep 5, 14 at 10:06

Comments (2)