Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stefpix

container plant dosage Bayer 2In1 Systemic Rose & Flower Care

stefpix
12 years ago

Hi,

I got some granules of container plant dosage Bayer 2In1 Systemic Rose & Flower Care with Imidclorprid as active ingredient.

Does anyone know the dosage for small and medium container sizes? The label only gives the dosage for shrubs and roses in the garden.

I have been searching the web but no indication of how many tbsp /tsp per pot.

thanks

stefano

Comments (4)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

I think you could have chosen a better product, like a liquid form of Imidacloprid or even Bayer's 3-in-1 product with Imidacloprid, Tebuconazole (a systemic fungicide), and a miticide. That said, and since there are no instructions for applications to containerized plants, you'll need to do some math, though there is a caveat that imposes a serious consideration that I'll get to in a minute.

Marathon is 1% Imidacloprid. Your product is .22% Imidacloprid. For delivery of the proper amount of the chemical, see the chart below. Once you've decided on what would be the appropriate dose of Marathon, you'll need to multiply the specified volume X4 for the amount of the 2-in-1 product to apply.

Now for the caveat: The product you have contains fertilizer, which would normally be applied outdoors over a much larger area than the surface of your containers. Using the 2-in-1 product, it's more than likely, probably probable, that you cannot apply an appropriate amount of Imidacloprid w/o over-fertilizing and suffering the consequences of plasmolysis (commonly: fertilizer burn).

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: For calculations only

• stefpix
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Al,
    thanks for your reply. In the NYC area there are not many products available. SO no chance to find 3 in 1 or liquid forms.

There is a Bonide systemic that is .22% imidclorprid
    http://www.bonide.com/products/product.php?category_id=951
    that has dosage for different pot sizes.
    So I was wondering I could more or less use that dosage.

The fertilizer is pretty low in numbers, lower than Osmocote. and being slow release it would probably not burn the roots, I thought. I would have rather used one that had a miticide and fungicide but this is the only Bayer I found, and I wanted to make sure to not get the one with Disulfoton that is way more toxic. what do you think? If I use a lower dosage would it still be effective or select some resistant pests?

stefano

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

I'd bet my firstborn that it's the same product in different packaging, so for delivering the right amount of Imidacloprid, you can follow the instructions for the Bonide product - but that STILL leaves the question of possible fertilizer burn hanging ......

The trouble with using 'not quite enough to do the job' is it tends to breed super-pests (especially so with mites) that are "born" resistant to the chemical you're using; so if you can't deliver an adequate dose, I'd use another product or forgo its use.

Are you using this product prophylactically or on a target species? which one?

Al

• stefpix
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think the Bonide is a powder and this is granules.

I have plants on my fire escape and on the roof that I will have to take in I believe at the end of October.

I have some 2 year old Ficus bengalensis and F. religiosa that I grew from seed and now are getting a thick trunk, also have some orchids in 6" pots, Laelia and Schomburgkia and Ansellia. And some Mango saplings I grew from seed and some small Coccoloba uvifera I have grown from seed (4 or 5" pots now). Actually something chews and cuts the coccoloba leaves. and some cacti. I know Imidclorprid is an insecticide so it is not effective on mites (not many plants get mites - only rarely and a couple of them). I will spray and soak also with Neem oil. I have Habanero peppers I want to overwinter but no systemic in those. I will just turn them into bonsais (bonchi) cut them really small and soak them in water neem oil and dish soap and then rinse and repot.

But I want to minimize taking insects in. I do not like to spray indoors.

The fertilizer I believe is 6-9-6 and the dosage would not be so much different than Osmocote. Being slow release I wonder if the risk of burn is minimal. Maybe i will get some brown leaf tips but maybe not...
    stefano