Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barb_roselover_in

roses in containers

barb_roselover_in
12 years ago

Would some of you (hopefully those in colder climates) tell me what you do with your container roses in the winter. I have tried several methods, but not with success. I don't have the privilege of having an outside heated greenhouse. Thanks in advance - Barb

Comments (5)

• marquest
    12 years ago

Read this. I am going to try her method.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wintering Roses

• marquest
    12 years ago

Read this. I am going to try her method.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wintering Roses

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

I don't grow roses in containers, Barb, but I do over-winter at least 200 woody plants in dozens of genera, so I'm certain that roses will respond favorably to being over-wintered on the floor of an unheated garage. You should be able to over-winter those plants listed as hardy to 1-2 zones warmer than you. You needn't go through all the fussing suggested by the late poster to the thread Marquest linked you to. Simply set the container on the floor & toss enough snow on it (every 4-6 weeks) to keep the soil from drying completely.

You should learn how to do full repots, which includes bare-rooting and root pruning (every 2-3 years) if you want to get the most from your plants.

Alternately, you can bury the plants, pot and all, against the north foundation of a heated building, where they will do almost as well - especially if they are protected from wind or wrapped with burlap to slow/prevent dessication.

Al

• barb_roselover_in
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to all for your replies. Al, my garage is heated as my washer and dryer are out there and the plants that I am keeping under lights. I do have a large overhead door, and the car is parked in there, when I am home. I have been thinking about sinking the pots in the soil in my raised beds, but wondering if I cover the tops of them or what. It is just me now taking care of this stuff and don't have the strength or energy to do what I used to. Barb

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

You can bury them deeply - don't be worried that if you cover the pot rim the stem or graft will rot. That won't happen over the winter. Mulch after burying if you can. Wrapping with burlap after you prune will really slow desiccating winds too, if you can manage that, Best luck, Babb!

Al