Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gritty Mix, etc

Posted by CEFreeman DC/MD %27Burbs 7B (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 17, 11 at 11:03

Hi.
I've been reading, reading, reading, and see my poor JM collection is probably starving and suffocating. I lose a couple a year and it's probably just that.

I read the mixes, etc., and the work involved.
Although not shy about the work, I am shy the time.

I have three jobs with 1 to two shifts off a week. Read: 1 evening and 1 morning, not on the same day. IOW, I am exhausted and jammed up, but want to take care of my plants before the winter.

Painting, electricity installation, gutters, mowing, etc., can all continue to wait. I want to help the health of my trees.

That said, I need to buy an appropriate mix. I don't want to hear I "can 'just' go to a nursery and mix up x". I don't have time to buy heaps of stuff, sift, sort, and fool around. If I have to do that, more will suffer and die.

Is there a recommended premix, purchase-able brand suitable to my maples available in the north east?? I'll happily buy it in bulk.

Thanks for your time. I'm already eyeing several that have had no growth all summer.....

Christine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gritty Mix, etc

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 17, 11 at 11:59

Look for Fafard Nursery Mix, their 51L Mix, or their #3 Mix.

Good aeration and structural stability (of your growing medium) is key. Keeping your trees growing with good vitality is going to take a fair amount of time ..... just how it is - they're like pets in many ways.

Al

o

I agree with Al.
Was gonna recommend the same mixes.
Many nurseries will order these specialty (but pre-mixed) soils.

Josh

o

Another brand with bark as its largest component is Metro Mix 511. I had pretty good luck with that before switching to Al's mixes. But with any mix that includes peat, you will need to water carefully and repot once a year because it will breakdown and compact. I figure that investing the time and energy to make the best mix for my plants will save me time and energy in the long run.

o

Metro mix 511... Hmmm I wonder why they call it 511, wonder if their marketing or r n d guys have been browsing these forums at all or if its just coincidence...

o

LOL! That's my fault. I should have said Metro-Mix 510, made by Sun-Gro.

o

Thanks. I have a friend who owns a nursery and can probalby get this for me.

I thought I was taking good care of my little trees until I read about the potting mixes. No wonder I lose a couple a year. I love them and have raised some from 12" grafts to 6' trees. and everywhere in between!

I want to fix some of these up between fall and winter.
I appreciate the suggestion!

Christine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here