Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Kumquat update

jenn
12 years ago

Earlier this year I wrote about our dwarf Nagami Kumquat in a pot, sunken into the potting soil in which I planted it 5 years before. We plan to plant it in the garden later in fall, but first I wanted to re-pot it into new soil. I chose a modified 5-1-1 mix, using Orchid bark (small pieces, from OSH), perlite, peat and lime. The roots were a mess but we did our best to rinse and trim them and get them well-seated in the new mix. We also re-potted our new Dwarf Meyer Lemon into the same mix. Then, we let them rest in the shade for a week or so before moving them into a spot that gets mostly sun. We've kept them well watered with a weekly feeding of Foliage Pro.

Well, here's a pic I took of it last weekend, and also a pair of Meyer Lemon pics. They seem very happy and I think we did good --- thanks to all the help in this forum. Starting next month, I plan to re-pot all of our container plants into the gritty or 5-1-1 mixes. I've already planted a few into a cactus mix (because that's what I had on hand), and those plants already seem MUCH happier.

The Kumquat... the plant is COVERED with blossoms!

{{gwi:48996}}

The Meyer Lemon...

{{gwi:48997}}

... and another one of the Meyer Lemon, with a little helper -- actually 2, can you spot the other one?

{{gwi:48998}}

Comments (8)