Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geneyus

Magnolias in large containers

Geneyus
9 years ago

I'm thinking about building several wooden planter boxes that are 3' x 3' x 3' (basically 3 ft squared). We want some trees that will provide a little bit of privacy above our 6 ft fence, so the trees need to start branching out at the 3-5 ft mark (that's when the tree reaches the fence line in planter box) and above that.
We really like Star, Ann, and Southern Magnolia trees with the multiple trunks. We live in zone 7 (Memphis), and the trees will be full sun with shade coming around 5pm from the house. Do you all think any of these trees would be OK if watered regularly and given fertilizer occasionally? The summers get up to the 90's for a little while, and we can get down to the teens some winter nights. I won't be moving the boxes. It's hard to find a lot of pictures of different trees in large containers. We plan on having them in these containers for a long time, which is why I'm building them so big.
My other thought has been to plant Japanese Maples, but I think the Magnolias fit my neighborhood better. Thank you!

Comments (6)

• Geneyus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I also know nothing about trimming roots back for containers and would prefer not to, so I want to build the box large enough for longtime growth or choose a tree that won't need it.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    9 years ago

You are building boxes you don't intend to ever move, why not leave off the bottom and have a raised bed instead? Your trees would root into your soil and do away with all the restrains of container growing. Calistoga Al

• gregbradley
    9 years ago

If you are trying to get the wide part of the tree right at 6-8' off the ground for maximum privacy, I can see the logic of 3' tall planters for Star & Ann. Not for a Southern Magnolia as they get huge. There is a dwarf Southern but they also tend to grow UP much faster than out.

• User
    9 years ago

Geneyus,
    Of all the trees in the world to NOT plant in a container, a magnolia is one of them.
    Please understand that a magnolia is an ancient tree that spreads its roots OUT, close to the soil, which is exactly what you don't want.
    If you want it for privacy, why not just plant an evergreen like an arborvitae or a green giant?
    I know you can trim arborvitaes, and they usually aren't that expensive to get a nice sized one.
    They would take to raised beds, or even jsut planted in the ground if you can find one big enough.
    You would have privacy all winter too.
    Just a thought.

• Geneyus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I visited a nursery yesterday, and I came away with some new prospects. Now, I'm thinking about planting "Tea Olive" or "Wax Ligustrum" in the boxes. Both of these are bushy and spread out. I'm leaning more towards the Tea Olive.
    To answer calistoga, I was going to have the boxes off the ground because I have a gas line under my fence, so I'm not supposed to plant anything taller than 6'. I also figured boxes raised off the ground would be better for drainage.
    Does anyone have comments on the two plants I mentioned above?

This post was edited by Geneyus on Sun, Sep 28, 14 at 11:51

• allen456
    9 years ago

Tea Olive is a very fragrant bloomer. Make sure you like the scent of Jello filling the air in late spring and early fall.