Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Importance of direct sun during winter/dormancy

Posted by doomahx 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 11:31

Unfortunately it looks like summer is coming to end, for those of us with limited outdoor space that presents even more challenges.

My balcony receives no direct sunlight from november until march, the only light it gets is the sunlight that�s reflected off the huge white apartment building across the alley. Although there is no direct sunlight it is still bright enough to create shadows. I know that my passionflower and kumquat tree will have to reside in the warmth of my apartment but what about lingonberry bushes, lavender and elderberry bushes? All in containers. Will they be OK staying outside with no direct sunlight during the winter? I�m planning on bunching the pots together and insulating with bubble wrap next to a warm wall.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Importance of direct sun during winter/dormancy

I can't see why not some of them would do well...Are all those plants going into dormancy anyway?

Good luck..I hear you on the sun thing..I hate it

Mike

o

When it comes to dormant plants in containers, light is not the issue... the issue is keeping them from freezing since they don't have the protection of growing in the ground.

o

I would like grow hydrangea in containers on my deck. If I bring them indoors and put them in a 50 degree cellar which gets no sunshine, will they do ok? do they need some sunshine while dormant?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here