Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Container media for overwintering

Posted by ngrrsn 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 20, 12 at 11:52

For the past several years I have brought in about 100 geraniums, 25 peppers, and assorted other plants in the fall to winter over until I could put them back out next spring. I re-potted them into 2 gal and 3 gal black plastic nursery pots. For media I have used garden soil, potting soil, and even a product called "nursery mix" that seemed to have a lot of sand in it. But in all cases the containers (media) stays too wet, air doesn't get to the roots, the soil compacts, and I get soil gnats. Cutting down on watering doesn't help. With a little light, the geraniums actually bloomed and peppers tried producing fruit, so heat and light and air movement in my garage are o.k....but I have problems with the media.

I thought about using saw dust, but a nursery guy said it would compact like press-board. I thought about a mix of bark and potting soil, but was told this is not a good idea (don't know why). I am on a limited budget. Any recommendations?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Container media for overwintering

Here I use a lot of "#1 Nursery Mix" which is available by the yard for about $50. It is mostly course sand, with bark and pumice stone. It comes with a PH of 6.5 and a fertilizer with a life at 70 degrees of about 3 to 4 months. I think this is the least expensive mix, ready to use, and drains well, without compaction problems. Al

o
RE: Container media for overwintering

One word: Perlite. I mix a LOT of it my soil mixes. I never use potting SOIL, use potting MIX, it's lighter. I always add Perlite to it to improve drainage and aeration for the roots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here