Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantgurl

Plant Suggestions

plantgurl
18 years ago

I am implementing some formal planters at the front door to a private country club. I have chosen the foam decorative pots in different sizes and designs. However, the planters sit under a covered walkway in what I would consider to be dense shade. It is also incredibly hot in the summer months, even though it's shaded, there is no air movement (the planters are shielded from winds on all sides)so it is still quite warm. So I wanted to know if anyone had suggestions for summer plantings for these containers. Also, because there is no sun is there anything that grows well in the winter months? High temp: 102 Avg, in the sun...Low temp: maybe 10 to 12 in the sun.

Comments (3)

• username_5
    18 years ago

Are you saying you want something that grows both in 100F heat in summer as well as 10F temps in winter? If this is the case your choices are very limitted. The lack of sun and airflow reduce the choices even more.

Honestly I think your choices are limitted to a very short list of evergreen plants and artifical plants.

• plantgurl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

ok, revision...I don't want one plant to last all year long, I would like suggestions for both times of year...example: A B and C in the summer, X Y and Z in the winter

• pat4750
    18 years ago

I'd REALLY like to help but so many questions come to mind that need answers. What colors would you like to use? What are the colors of the containers' surroundings? What color are your planters? Does the area have some natural light? (I know there is no sun). Will someone be maintaining these (watering, deadheading, etc) in the winter as well as summer?
    The front of our house faces full north - no sun, but good light. This year's containers held upright fuchsia 'Gartenmeister Bonstedt', lysimachia 'Walkabout Sunset', coleus 'Sedona', coleus 'Tilt A Whirl', asparagus fern, nonstop begonia with coral and yellow flowers, cream variegated ivy, a New Guinea impatiens with wonderful burgundy and yellow leaves and red flowers, heuchera 'Burnished Bronze'. The overall effect was like a tapestry; the main colors were dark burgundy bronze, coral/red with creamy yellow accents.
    I've seen really magnificent containers planted with just one or two different plants in each container and then grouped well.
    I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can create unique compositions with some fairly ordinary plants.
    For winter, if you can't find a satisfactory shrub for these tough conditions, there are some good looking topiary frames available that would look great covered in tiny, white Christmas lights with ribbon trim and a wonderful bow. Also, in the past I have used berried branches (some artificial and real), evergreen boughs, curly willow, magnolia seed pods to make "arrangements" in the dirt left from summer's plantings. The soil makes a good, solid base and you can keep the live material fresh by spraying the boughs with "Wilt-Pruf" before arranging them and by watering the soil from time to time. Most of the material lasts from November into February. I've had curly willow sprout leaves in the spring by keeping them this way! Your site, with no winter sun or wind, would be a plus since they are death to evergreens.
    If I haven't been helpful, I'd be glad to 'brainstorm' again with your input.
    Pat in PA