Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rooftopbklyn

coco-wet for hydrophobic 5-1-1

I occasionally end up with a hydrophobic pot of 5-1-1, usually when I push it by leaving town for a short trip without making sure someone is going to water for me. I've had a very difficult time fixing these pots with plain water, no matter how slowly I water.

I have seen a lot of posts with vague suggestions about using coco-wet to assist fixing hydrophobic pots but no specific instructions or posts from anyone who has tried. Coco-wet is from the company that makes Spray and Grow and all of their instructions are about using it for foliar sprays. I did find references about using it to fix hydrophobic mix via irrigation in some cannabis themed forums, however, and decided to give it a try.

I used 1/2 tsp per gallon (specified on label) and slowly watered a hydrophobic pot with watering can (pausing frequently during this process). 15 minutes later I slowly watered the same pot with plain water, and then some time after that tried hitting it with the hose (dramm shower type nozzle). So far, looks like it worked quite well. Once the mix is properly saturated, I don't think the coco-wet should be needed again. So while a bit expensive for an 8 ounce bottle, that bottle will make just under 100 gallons of "rewetting solution" if my math is correct, which hopefully should suffice for quite some time.