Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stickstring

Container size + 5-1-1 mix

Hello to all,
Container size + rootball size + how well potting medium drains = healthy / unhealthy tree. I have learned this much. I have also searched and searched and have found threads in the past where people have stated, large container = faster growing / larger tree but must be in a fast draining mix. This spring I would like to repot my Meyers Into 1/2 wine barrels. I will keep them there for 1, possible 2 years before planting them into the ground.
Is the 5-1-1 mix a fast enough draining potting medium for such a large container. The Meyers were air layered this summer and will spend the winter in the 1 gal pots I planted them in.

I know it's early to be asking this question, would like to have everything ready ahead of time so I am not scrambling last minute for supplies.

Thank you!

Comments (2)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Yes, the 5-1-1 is fast enough for that size.....but will the Meyers be large enough to make use of that volume?

I would put a bunch of two-liter soda bottles (caps on) in the bottom of the barrels so that you don't have to make so much mix to fill the entire barrels. For a year or two, that'll be fine root-room, and the bottles will reduce the overall water-holding volume.

Post a pic of the Meyers so we can see their relative size.

Josh

• stickstring ( Sonoma County, CA 9B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Josh, this is what they look like right now. But like I said, I won't be repotting until early spring as mike (meyermike) recommended.