Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Silicone-rich potting mix: I haven't tried it yet

Posted by tired_of_digging z10 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 13:41

I�ve read about silicon�s role in biology, a thing that is normally ignored by most gardeners, as it seems to take some part in biology, and not only geology. It was found that Silicone has a positive impact on bone health
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2658806/

Although Silicone is abundant and is present as Silicone dioxide (SiO2) in the form of sand, adding sand to your meal won't do any good. We would normally eat plants containing silicone, or eat animals which consume these plants.

It has a positive effect on plant health, reducing susceptibility to biotic (pests, diseases) stress as well as abiotic stress (mineral imbalance, mineral distribution, harmful UV rays) as shown here
http://www2.fiu.edu/~chusb001/GiantEquisetum/Silicon_and_Plant_Health.html

This has prompted me to think how to make a silicone-rich potting soil, or a bio-silicone additive. There are two plants I know about which are rich in silicone: Horsetail (e.g. Equisetum arvense) having as much as 10% silicone and bamboo. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equisetum_arvense

Has anyone tried to make potting soil from these plants? If we take composted bamboo chips instead of composted wood chips, or we use the same process of turning sphagnum moss into peat soil, but use horsetail instead, we should get silicone-rich potting soil. If silicone content is too high, we may just use it as additive for peat soil.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Silicone-rich potting mix: I haven't tried it yet

I think I just read somewhere else on here that Si is a component of ProTeKt. You'll find tapla's post talking about it on the provided link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Tapla's comment on Pro-TeKt Si content

o

Yes, definitely answers my question.
As for the Pro-tekt: The Dyna Gro is marketed in my country, but not ProTekt specifically.
Bamboo cultivation is not a common practice here, though I have seen it grown in the city of Aqaba, in Jordan, right across the border. (Yes, in the hot desert).

As for the potting mix, we use bamboo skewers for barbecue, and it is fairly simple to take some bamboo sticks, cover them with potting soil, keep it moist and let them decay slowly. (They become brittle). The process may take some time to complete, and by spring I will have it ready for planting. I will plant grasses (which are known to take-up silicone) in this mix alongside a control mix with no bamboo chips, for comparison.

o

You mean Silicon, which is an element.

NOT Silicone, which are a variety of man made polymers.

o

Equisetum and Bamboo species incorporate the element silicon in their tissues. (Yes, now I see that the added 'e' has created some confusion) What MiniChopper4Me has posted me is the link to the answer. The fertilizer is not available in my area, so I must use a biological source of silicon to make-up for it.

There are two ways:

The slow way: Add chipped bamboo or equisetum to my potting soil. From my experience, peat moss will allow bamboo skewers to degrade and become brittle.

The fast way: Burn the silicon source and add it as silicon "ash".

I still have to experiment and find the right one for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here