Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
One large container with multiple plants coming out of the side

Posted by Damien____ 10 / SoCal (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 16, 11 at 14:13

Hello all,
I have this idea for a container garden consisting of one container. I'd like to turn this into "The Salsa Machine" hahah. Here is a drawing:

This is a top view and a side view. The large container is a 32 gallon Rubbermaid Roughneck trashcan. The smaller circles represent 2 liter soda bottles with the tops and bottoms cut off.

Would it be possible to fill this thing with soil and grow onions at the top of the trashcan, pepper plants out of the top pots/holes, tomatoes in the second tier of holes and then misc. herbs in the bottom tier?

I would find a way to have the tomatoes staked / trellised. I could also stagger the pots/holes to help with lighting.

Provided everything was draining well enough and if I went organic with the nutrients do you think that this is something that could be accomplished?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: One large container with multiple plants coming out of the si

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 16, 11 at 16:01

I'm pretty sure you'll be well short of the soil volume needed for such an ambitious undertaking.

Al

o

As Al stated, I dont tgink you would have enough soil volume for all those plants. There would be too much competition for root space, they may do ok for a while but I think they would eventually choke each other out, leading to disease and pest problems. Maybe a square foot approach would be better if space is your concern.

o

Thank you both for your replies!

Maybe a square foot approach would be better if space is your concern.

There are no concerns here. This is strictly for fun / experimentation. Strict fun. . . Not sure how that will work either. ;)

o

I think all that might be ok if you give the tomatoes their own container. All the rest could do good in this one, especially if you keep to small pepper plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here