Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oxboy555

The new Osmocote Plus?

oxboy555
10 years ago

With Osmocote Plus no longer around, what is the consensus best CRF?

Comments (27)

• Ernie
    10 years ago

Dynamite's All Purpose Select 15-5-9 is probably the best alternative.

• greentoe357
    10 years ago

Can't find a label for it anywhere. Anyone has a reference? Or can you snap a pic and post here?

There is another thread on the same topic:

Here is a link that might be useful: another thread

• Ernie
    10 years ago

I noticed that recently, too. Dynamite used to have a complete analysis for each product on their website, but they appear to have updated the design and dropped that info. I sent them an e-mail about a month ago, but I never heard back. As best I can remember, it provides most micronutrients, but it's not on par with Osmocote Plus. Unfortunately, nothing is...

• oxboy555
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have some Dynamite Select coming from Amazon so I'll take a pic of the label and post when it arrives.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Thank you Oxyboy...

Especially check to see if it has calcium in it will you?

Mike:-)

• rooftopbklyn (zone 7a)
    10 years ago

Check out this website, it has the analysis for many variations of Osmocote Plus and Dynamite Select 15-5-9.

EDIT: links seem to change a lot so can't link to an individual product page.

Here is a link that might be useful: fertilizer db

This post was edited by rooftopbklyn on Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 8:30

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    10 years ago

I just received a 7 pound bag of the Dynamite Select All-Purpose Indoor/Outdoor 15-5-9 slow release plant food, which looks like a good substitute for the discontinued Osmocote Plus 15-9-12. It is supposed to last up to 9 months. I paid $28.61 for it on Amazon. Here is a photo of the ingredients list:
    {{gwi:49466}}

Here is the label from my last 4.5 lb. jug of the discontinued Osmocote Plus, which I loved. I paid about $20 for this jug, and it was supposed to last up to six months:
    {{gwi:49469}}

Here's the label from the only formulation of Osmocote Plus 15-9-12 I've been able to find. It is available from large wholesalers, like BFG Supply, but only in 50 pound bags that cost at least $110. You can purchase versions that last from 3 to 9 months. There is no calcium or magnesium in the formula.
    {{gwi:49471}}

Note that none of these slow release fertilizers contain urea, which is a plus as far as I am concerned.

• oxboy555
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It says Magnesium 1.0% and also Calcium Phosphate. Not much but maybe better than nothing.

What pisses me off about the Dynamite is it has 11/12 of the necessary nutrients. How expensive can Zinc be? Just throw some in for everybody's peace of mind. Lazy....

• WBDB
    10 years ago

Is Florikote ADV 19-5-9 comparable to the Dynamite 15-5-9 in the micros? I see 50lb sacks @ AM Leonard for~$80. I would think that I should be able to find the big sacks in the SoCal area.

Does anyone have experience with this product for containers?

Is the Dynamite product available in 50lb sacks, and has anyone found it in SoCal area?

• oxboy555
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Looks like it's missing Boron, Molybdenum and dedicated Calcium that the Dynamite has. But it does have the Zinc.

Also note that your Florikote has a greater % of its nitrogen as ammoniacal/urea. That's going to acidify your substrate more than the Dynamite.

I don't think the Dynamite comes in big bags, just small plastic jugs. I've never seen it in stores, only online.

• WBDB
    10 years ago

Our H20 should provide enough calcium and alkalinity, as frequently as I need to irrigate. As far as I understand.

I believe that Dynamite is the retail division of Florikote.

• oxboy555
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Personally, that urea nitrogen component would dissuade me from container use for a few reasons: Having 2/3 of the nitrogen as non-nitrate based may mess with your soil pH/acidity too much. It could also promote more green growth and less flowering. Finally, I hear ammoniacal/urea N only really works in temps above 60 degrees.

Then again, this fert plus your water alkalinity might cancel eachother out and make for a wonderfully stable growing environment. Give it a cautious try -- knowing that the margin for error is much narrower in a pot than in the ground. You should also supplement with a liquid based micro fert once in a while to supply the missing micros.

• WBDB
    10 years ago

If I could figure out a dry or water soluble complete source of micros that only needed replenishment occasionally I would be very receptive. Then I could use one of a myriad of cheapo CRF's with only NPK.

But I just can't seem to find the right blend of products. The goal is to be able to irrigate with plain H20 without ferts for the Gmix or 511.

I have too many containers to use $4 lb fert, if I don't have to.

• njitgrad
    10 years ago

If I were to use Dynamite 15-5-9, would it be prudent to mix this with something else to compensate for the appreciably smaller amounts of P and K?

Oxyboy555, you also mentioned the lack of zinc. How do you intend to account for that?

10 years ago

No. The Dynamite 15-5-9 is actually closer to the ideal N:P:K ratio of 3:1:2 than is the Osmocote 15-9-12. Also, both pine bark and lime contain trace amounts of zinc, so I wouldn't worry about that.

• njitgrad
    10 years ago

Wow, that's convenient. Then why was Osmocote Plus the favored product? Is it because the Dynamite is fairly new?

Also can you explain WHY the ideal ratio is 3:1:2 ?? I'm still a newbie with all the ins-and-outs of soil nutrients.

10 years ago

I don't know why Osmocote was favored over Dynamite. Osmocote was one of the earliest controlled release fertilizers offered in garden centers, and its other formulations are still the most common ones available in my area. I have tried dozens of fertilizers over the years, and Osmocote Plus was one of the few that seemed to show real results. After joining Gardenweb, I learned that many people here were using it.

As for the ideal fertilizer ratio, I got that from Al (tapla), the same guy who taught me about 5-1-1 and gritty mix. Follow the link below to learn the rationale for choosing a 3:1:2 ratio fertilizer. Al's evidence and reasoning meshed very well with my experience over many years of growing container plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fertilizing Containerized Plants

• nil13
    10 years ago

ammoniacal nitrogen is not the same as urea nitrogen in Florikan products (they list urea nitrogen and Ammoniacal nitrogen seperately which is apparent when you read the ingredient list) and I would check you local water quality report as your tap water probably supplies plenty of zinc, Oxboy.

This post was edited by nil13 on Tue, Nov 5, 13 at 1:25

• nil13
    10 years ago

Florikan makes florikote, nutricote, and dynamite. The first two are professional products and dynamite is their consumer line. I use nutricote total.

• Ernie
    10 years ago

For anyone who's shopping for Dynamite All Purpose Select, Seed Ranch has the 7 lb bag for $21.95 and it ships for free.

• njitgrad
    10 years ago

Shazaam, Thanks! You just put $10 back in my pocket. I promptly cancelled my order with Amazon and ordered from Seed Ranch.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Also can you explain WHY the ideal ratio is 3:1:2 ??
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think the reason is the issue of stability of N, P, K.

P is the most stable of the three, as it is bonded/attached to soil/medium and sticks around for a good long time and in the garden soil it can accumulate over time.

K is semi stable, meaning that it does not leach out readily but it is not as stable as P.

N, when available, is water soluble. So every time you water some of it drains out. And also MAYBE certain plants up take more of it too. But generally and specifically in container gardening N depletes the fastest of the three(N P K).

Having said all that, I would be careful about using N. It often can fool a gardener by growing lush foliage but can cause late fruiting and LESS fruiting. That is why, as the season progresses I reduce the amount of N( like for matoes, pepps). once the plants have enough foliage for photosynthesis, I don't want to grow more of it. But for leafy plants (cabbage, onions ..) I continue feeding N. Because I want the foliage.

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

OK - found this thread - questions about Dynamite Plus:

1 - how do I find out how much zinc is in my local water? I am in Howard County MD and we are on their county water supply. All I could find was some fluffy report about how great it is w/o the details.

2 - how much zinc is "enough" ?

3 - what are other zinc sources if the water is insufficient (or rainy weather makes me water less & therefore having insufficient zinc for a period of time)

10 years ago

From what I have read, pine bark contains enough zinc to make it not a concern if it is missing from your fertilizer. Here are some excerpts from a North Carolina publication on micronutrients in container mixes:

"Soil test data from native pine bark collected from several locations over time show adequate levels of manganese and zinc... Soil test data have linked excessive zinc levels to growth problems of container-grown crops. The high zinc content generally comes from application of a trace element mixture to media that already contains adequate zinc. In such cases the problem could have been prevented by leaving zinc out of the fertilizer treatment."

Here is a link that might be useful: Micronutrients: When Enough is Enough

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

Good info - sounds like the 5-1-1, at least made with pine (not sure about fir) should be fine on zinc.

• oxboy555
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Probably another good reason to pair up Dynamite with Foliage Pro. Ensures you get all the micros.

• greentoe357
    10 years ago

> how do I find out how much zinc is in my local water?

Hairmetal, some municipalities put their water reports online. Mine does. Google it or call them - they may send you the report if it's not online.

I agree with others who said zink is probably not a concern, but I did want to answer your question none the less. The water report will contain more important info like pH, alkalinity etc.