Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Feeding with fp every watering...

Posted by howelbama none (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 5, 11 at 15:04

I started using fp a couple of weeks ago, using the maintenance dose along with 1/4 tsp epsom salts as I have gypsum in my gritty. I feel this dose may be a bit weak as im only watering every three days or so... Has anyone tried increasing the maintenance dose with good results? Im using ro water as my tap is very hard...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Feeding with fp every watering...

I use a full strength dose once a week.
For my citrus, I've been going a little higher than full strength even.

Josh

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 5, 11 at 16:57

When plants are growing robustly, I've been using up to 1 tbsp/gal of water weekly with good results & no burn. In winter, as a maintenance dose, I use 15 drops per gallon of water every time I water.

Al

o

I have always used 1/4 strength at every watering with great results.

Since my accident, I have resorted to weekly at the dosage Al and Josh describe and I am still having great results.

I will doing Al's regimen come this winter.

Mike

o

Good question, because I often wonder about my 1/4tsp per gallon maintenance dose. But, I only need to water once a week for some plants, so maybe I outta be putting more FP in. I use a plastic syringe that measures in tsp, and have been using 3/4tsp per 2 gallon watering can all summer. Like I said, some plants go up to a week between waterings, where some of my succulents like my desert rose, which is in a tiny pot and in blazing sun, goes every 2 or 3 days.

Joe

o

• Posted by pippi21 Zone 6b Silver Sprin (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 7, 11 at 7:22

Okay, I'm curious: What's FP stand for? And what is the purpose of the FP?

o

Sorry Pippi

FP stands for Foliage Pro and it is a fantastic fertilizer.

Mike:-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Foliage Pro

o

Al, am I reading that rightly?

Up to 1 Tablespoon per gallon? If so, I might try going even higher for my citrus.

Mike, how are plants responding to once a week feeding?

Josh

o

Josh, I just noticed the tsbp.... I had read that as tsp prior, now Im curious.

o

Yes, a tablespoon (tbsp) per gallon seems like an awful lot, considering the directions say 1/4 teaspoon (tsp) per gallon for every watering, and 1 tsp per gallon weekly. One tablespoon is equal to 3 teaspoons, so that would be tripling the dose. I am starting to thing I have been underfertilizing at 1/4tsp per gallon. My plants aren't yellowing though, but I could have been getting better growth.

Joe

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 9, 11 at 21:50

You read it correctly - while temps are favorable, I add 1 tablespoon per gallon of water and fertilize as close to weekly as I can manage. I use this on woody plants I'm wanting to grow quickly so I can use them as future bonsai candidates, and on all my herbaceous mixed plantings. For veggies, I sort of watch the foliage color & fertilize on an 'as needed' basis, usually as soon as I see the foliage start changing to a lighter green.

Necrotic (dead/burned) leaf tips & margins have never been a problem, so I can't be pushing the plants too awfully hard, if at all.

I consider favorable temps to be actual soil temperatures between 55-80*.

Al

o

I was working today, and so I wasn't home to fertilize....
I wouldn't have anyway, considering we hit 105F...but I'll increase my fertilization for certain plants
as soon as the temps drop a bit.

Thanks, Al!

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here