Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
howelbama

Feeding with fp every watering...

howelbama
12 years ago

I started using fp a couple of weeks ago, using the maintenance dose along with 1/4 tsp epsom salts as I have gypsum in my gritty. I feel this dose may be a bit weak as im only watering every three days or so... Has anyone tried increasing the maintenance dose with good results? Im using ro water as my tap is very hard...

Comments (11)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

I use a full strength dose once a week.
    For my citrus, I've been going a little higher than full strength even.

Josh

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

When plants are growing robustly, I've been using up to 1 tbsp/gal of water weekly with good results & no burn. In winter, as a maintenance dose, I use 15 drops per gallon of water every time I water.

Al

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

I have always used 1/4 strength at every watering with great results.

Since my accident, I have resorted to weekly at the dosage Al and Josh describe and I am still having great results.

I will doing Al's regimen come this winter.

Mike

• Joe1980
    12 years ago

Good question, because I often wonder about my 1/4tsp per gallon maintenance dose. But, I only need to water once a week for some plants, so maybe I outta be putting more FP in. I use a plastic syringe that measures in tsp, and have been using 3/4tsp per 2 gallon watering can all summer. Like I said, some plants go up to a week between waterings, where some of my succulents like my desert rose, which is in a tiny pot and in blazing sun, goes every 2 or 3 days.

Joe

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Okay, I'm curious: What's FP stand for? And what is the purpose of the FP?

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Sorry Pippi

FP stands for Foliage Pro and it is a fantastic fertilizer.

Mike:-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Foliage Pro

12 years ago

Al, am I reading that rightly?

Up to 1 Tablespoon per gallon? If so, I might try going even higher for my citrus.

Mike, how are plants responding to once a week feeding?

Josh

• howelbama
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Josh, I just noticed the tsbp.... I had read that as tsp prior, now Im curious.

• Joe1980
    12 years ago

Yes, a tablespoon (tbsp) per gallon seems like an awful lot, considering the directions say 1/4 teaspoon (tsp) per gallon for every watering, and 1 tsp per gallon weekly. One tablespoon is equal to 3 teaspoons, so that would be tripling the dose. I am starting to thing I have been underfertilizing at 1/4tsp per gallon. My plants aren't yellowing though, but I could have been getting better growth.

Joe

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

You read it correctly - while temps are favorable, I add 1 tablespoon per gallon of water and fertilize as close to weekly as I can manage. I use this on woody plants I'm wanting to grow quickly so I can use them as future bonsai candidates, and on all my herbaceous mixed plantings. For veggies, I sort of watch the foliage color & fertilize on an 'as needed' basis, usually as soon as I see the foliage start changing to a lighter green.

Necrotic (dead/burned) leaf tips & margins have never been a problem, so I can't be pushing the plants too awfully hard, if at all.

I consider favorable temps to be actual soil temperatures between 55-80*.

Al

12 years ago

I was working today, and so I wasn't home to fertilize....
    I wouldn't have anyway, considering we hit 105F...but I'll increase my fertilization for certain plants
    as soon as the temps drop a bit.

Thanks, Al!

Josh