Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are these growing in my pot? Cantaloupe? Squash?

Posted by Amethyst12 Texas Zone 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 20, 12 at 15:11

Hello - I live in North Central Texas and this is my first year trying to grow anything. I am going with container growing, because although my Grandmother, sister and daughter have a natural green thumb I do not.

I planted late (first week of July, before I knew there were actual times to plant)and have these in a container? Can anyone tell me what they are? Cantaloupe, squash?

Also when does cantaloupe start to flower? I have a T5 grow light and plan on setting up a small greenhouse over the winter in our garage. I have more photos if needed. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are these growing in my pot? Cantaloupe? Squash?

At this stage, it's pretty much impossible to tell what it is.. all that can be said is that is probably a cucurbit, a large family that includes pumpkins, squash, zucchini, watermelon, canteloupe, honeydew, cucumbers, etc.

I hate to tell people they can't do things.. but in this I'll have to make an exception. Even in my zone 9a, it's just too late to plant these. No practical amount of growlights could ever provide enough light for a cucurbit, and if you managed to somehow keep them alive through the winter, they would almost certainly die when transplanted (they hate being transplanted, unless it's done when they're very young and with minimal root disturbance.

The only example I've of indoor grown cucumbers is when someone allowed the vine itself to wrap around the actual bulbs and casing of a fluorescent tube work light fixture (T8, with four tubes). Even then, he only got 4 cucumbers.

Plant these in the spring, after your "last frost date", or 1.5 to 2 weeks before in pots for transplanting.

Btw, there's really no such thing as a green thumb... learning and practice.

o
RE: What are these growing in my pot? Cantaloupe? Squash?

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here