Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
why are my tomato flowers closing?

Posted by Celbrise none (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 15:40

one of the earlier flowers opened up and just recently it looks like it is closing off it's fully yellow but it looks like it's going to dry up and die.

why is that?

lately it has been raining constantly in my area and my containers have holes in them but i mean is the excess water the reason or what is actually causing it to do this?

i can only think of 3 reasons why my plant is doing this.

1. white fly aphids recently been attacking this plant and i have tried removing them.

2. soap and water mixture i sprayed the plant with due to the aphids. it was too strong and burned some of my plants leaves.

3. excess water.

any ideas what is causing it to close up? it is just 1 flower but i mean thats 1 less tomato and im worried the others might do the very same thing

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: why are my tomato flowers closing?

Insecticidal soap is well known to damage flowers such that don't develop into fruit. The damage to the leaves will also cause the plant to abort fruits it can't provide for.

High humidity (over 70%) and high temps (over 95F during the day and 70F at night) will shut down blossom set until conditions improve.

o

Hmm probably is the soap as weather here isn't too hot nor tool cold

o

Are you still wondering if your 50:50 dish soap to water application can cause plant damage?

o

How long have they been open? They turn straw-colored and close up after they've been pollinated. Gently turn one up to see if there's a tiny tomato.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here