Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Arapaho Blackberry in Container

Posted by kaysquared 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 5, 11 at 15:51

Hello Everyone! I am new to this site. I am so happy that I found it as I can see that there is a wealth of information here.

I am growing a blackberry bush in a container. I purchased it as a small twig plant (sorry if I am not using the proper terms)at the beginning of summer. For the most part, it looks pretty healthy and strong however the plant is growing sideways and trailing down the side of the pot. The Arapaho blackberry bush is supposed to grow without staking right? It says that it does not require support which is why I decided to plant this particular variety. It worries me because I have only a small space in which to garden and I am not sure the branches will survive laying on the concrete of my driveway.

So my question is this - do I need to cut back the bush in order to get it to grow upright? Did I possibly buy the wrong bush? Any information offered on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: picture of my blackberry bush

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Arapaho Blackberry in Container

Well I don't have experience with the arapaho variety, and only 1 year with the triple crown, black satin and boysenberry. Your picture looks more like my boysenberry, which is a trailing plant. lots of thin shoots that drape. Both my triple crown and black satin have grown one thick upright cane in their first year. So I would say you do not have an arapaho, must be some kind of trailing variety.

o

Mine are true trailing types. I train them in an arch that will fruit next year. After fruiting that arch will be removed and another will be started already at a 90 degree angle to the prior year. Works very well.

Photobucket

Get some bamboo stakes and start training yours up. In a year or two the right system will be clear.

o

Fruitnut, I'm anxiously awaiting my shipment of Arapho blackberries. I really love your arch idea but I'm not sure how to reproduce it. I'm unclear about starting another arch at a 90 degree angle. Could you explain that part a little further, please?

o

I very much like the look of the plant on the arch and would love to know more specifics about your process. Also what size pot is it and what planting medium.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here