Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ahelaumakani_gw

Potting up plants to move

ahelaumakani
10 years ago

In a couple of weeks I'll be moving to an apartment in a different city which is in zone 9a.

I currently have a tiny patio/yard with raised beds and have Maid of Orleans jasmine, variegated giant liriope, southern wood fern, east Indian holly fern, a few small (struggling) hostas and some red-tip photinia seedlings (for experimental purposes - birds dropped some seeds.) There are some other things I have growing in pots already - single and double impatiens, wax begonias, kalanchoe blossfeldiana, bromeliads, aloe vera, and another much healthier MOO jasmine.

I know I'll have some yard space but I haven't seen it yet and expect that it'll need some work. I also don't know what the sun exposure will be like. My current apartment gets very little direct sun and is mostly high shade. I'd like to be able to put things back in the ground but that probably won't happen right away.

How soon should I pot things up? Would they be ok in the soil they're
in or should I mix up something different? How should I care for them until it's time to move? I'm worried about things drying out and/or rotting - particularly the hostas and southern ferns some of which have yet to go dormant and some of which already have due to the heat.

Comments (4)