Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potting up plants to move

Posted by ahelaumakani Zone 8b (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 15:59

In a couple of weeks I'll be moving to an apartment in a different city which is in zone 9a.

I currently have a tiny patio/yard with raised beds and have Maid of Orleans jasmine, variegated giant liriope, southern wood fern, east Indian holly fern, a few small (struggling) hostas and some red-tip photinia seedlings (for experimental purposes - birds dropped some seeds.) There are some other things I have growing in pots already - single and double impatiens, wax begonias, kalanchoe blossfeldiana, bromeliads, aloe vera, and another much healthier MOO jasmine.

I know I'll have some yard space but I haven't seen it yet and expect that it'll need some work. I also don't know what the sun exposure will be like. My current apartment gets very little direct sun and is mostly high shade. I'd like to be able to put things back in the ground but that probably won't happen right away.

How soon should I pot things up? Would they be ok in the soil they're
in or should I mix up something different? How should I care for them until it's time to move? I'm worried about things drying out and/or rotting - particularly the hostas and southern ferns some of which have yet to go dormant and some of which already have due to the heat.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potting up plants to move

To give a good answer I would need to know how long, how many days, your plants will be out of the ground? Be sure the new location will allow you to bring in plants at all. If you are moving into California, they may be seized at the inspection station. Al

o

I'm moving from central Texas to south Texas. It's about a 3.5 hour drive. I don't know how long my plants will be out of the ground once I get there:

"I know I'll have some yard space but I haven't seen it yet and expect that it'll need some work. I also don't know what the sun exposure will be like. My current apartment gets very little direct sun and is mostly high shade. I'd like to be able to put things back in the ground but that probably won't happen right away."

I figure at least a couple of weeks.

What I'm trying to figure out is how soon I can dig them up and stick them in pots.

o

I would try and take as much of the soil with the roots as possible. Cut back only what foliage needed to make the move. In your new location if it is going to be more than a couple of weeks to prepare the location, I would dig in the pots anywhere as a temporary spot. You should avoid disturbing the roots more than the one time, when you actually plant in their new home. Al

o

I totally agree. If the roots are undisturbed during the process, plants should do well. I've moved excavated plants locally many times, for swaps and when moving, and even from OH to AL. Instead of trying to conform root balls to pots, I would use the small plastic shopping bags with handles. Then the 'pot' can conform to whatever strange shapes you dig without disturbance, and without empty/dry holes in pots. Even root balls that 'disintegrate' while moving can stay alive if they don't dry too badly during the experience, and while resettling.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here