Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potted mint (newbie question)

Posted by tadhg555 California (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 6, 11 at 16:25

Last spring I bought a nice Persian mint that I placed in a mid-sized pot. It grew like gangbusters -- so much so that it became leggy and not nearly as attractive. The roots have also taken over the entire pot.

Here's my question - what, if anything, can I do to manage this fast-growing beast and keep it looking healthy and "bushy"? Should I cut it back, divide it, remove some roots, or another option?

Sorry if this is Gardening 101 but this seems like a good resource.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potted mint (newbie question)

The worst thing I have ever planted is mint. When it goes to seed you will have mints growing everywhere, including your neighbors. If you have to have it, keep cutting it back so it does not seed. Put your cuttings in your garbage so they do not spout and grow where ever they hit the soil. Many of my pots I must regularly weed to remove mint. Al

o

Mints the best thing I ever planted! (smile) It's easy to grow, almost impossible to kill (maybe if you stopped watering for a month?). It easily reproduces and spreads as calistoga mentions, which is why a pot is a good place for it.

I'd just cut it back and it will look fine. No need to fuss with root dividing,...

o

I repot my mints each year. Three-gallon containers are adequate for most mints. Cutting it back regularly is your best bet to keep it nice. When repotting, select several of the healthiest roots, plant them horizontally under half-an-inch of soil, and dispose of everything else. They'll grow back in no time.

o

Thanks, guys - I'll be sure to watch plant this so it doesn't leap its bounds and take over our yard!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here