Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just thought I'd share an update :)

Posted by kissingfrgos2003 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 10, 11 at 17:10

To thank all of you for your help with my new venture into veggie container gardening, I thought I would share a photo update!!

My little herb garden (with dillx2, sage, thyme, catnip, parsley, and basil seedlings):
herb garden 9-5

Oregano seedlings:
oregano 9-10

Basil:
basil 9-5

Rosemary:
rosemary 9-5

Corn:
corn 9-10

Envy Soybeans aka. Edamame (including my first harvest from today):
edamame 9-5
edamame harvest

Windowsill Roma Tomatoes:
roma tomatoes 9-10
roma tomatoes 9-10 (2)

Red Robin Tomatoes:
red robin 9-10
red robin fruit close up 9-10

Sparkler Radishes (only one has given food so far):
radishes 8-21
radish 9-10

Baby Finger Carrots:
carrots 9-10

Strawberries:
strawberries1 8-21
strawberries2 8-21

I hope this inspires others to get into container gardening!

Any tips/advce/insight based on the photos?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just thought I'd share an update :)

Where do you live, that you have them outside now? Here in central FL we start planting usually by the end of the month. I still have parsley that was grown from seed last year, putting out leaves. My basil is about finished, It's getting woody, so I'll start again maybe in October. i have three bags of basil in freezer for pesto. My rosemary is growing very slowly. It was started from seeds back in Apri.

o

I am in southern illinois. My basil is on its way out as well but i have more seedlings in the works. The basil and rosemary actually traveled cross country from California about 2 months ago. Hearty little guys...

o

The plants all appear to be suffering from the soil mix. Thin, slightly pale growth.
The strawberries and the radish look good, though!

Josh

o

oh interesting...never heard that feedback before!

Everything is planted in the following: http://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/productTemplate.jsp?proId=prod70262&itemId=cat50154

with this fertilized added as appropriate:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100026341/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

How should I remedy the problem? I can't really afford a major overhaul of all the potting (soil is expensive) but if there are cheap tricks to help I am open to it. Otherwise I'll take the suggestions into acocunt when I pot again :)

o

Yikes!

Not only Miracle Grow....but Moisture Control!
That stuff holds an excessive amount of moisture, which leads to poor root development
and overall plant stress.

The only trick I can think of right now is to use a wick from the bottom of the drainhole.
This will allow excess water to drain down the wick, lowering the perched water in the pot.

Next year, I'd recommend a mix of bark (or appropriate mulch), perlite, and a small portion
of peat (or potting mix). This will give you the drainage AND the water retention you want.

I haven't used that particular fertilizer, but I'd go with something that offers nutrients in
the ratio that plants most closely use those nutrients: a 3-1-2 ratio.

Josh

o

when you say wick...do you mean like a thin piece of rope hanging out of the bottom of the plant? I think I can manage that :)

I started with the MG MC soil (and have had the best success with that versus others) because I water them all on the same day and until water runs out the bottom...i know some need more or less than that but I cant tell who needs what! I figure the MC helps me with what I over or under water :)

you have been so helpful...any other advice?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here