Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using mulch in containers?

Posted by PunkRotten 9b (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 8, 11 at 17:56

Hi,

Is it wise to use mulch in containers? I was under this impression you wanted pots to drain well, but at the same time they need more waterings cause they dry out faster. I put about 2 inches of mulch in a pot with a pepper plant. Should I leave it or take it out?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using mulch in containers?

Howdy!

What kind of mulch?

I use a fir bark mulch in my pepper containers and my citrus containers.
However, I don't go deeper than about an inch, so I'd recommend removing some.

Can you post a picture?

Josh

o

The mulch is from the city. They collect plant clippings from home and then it is turned into mulch. I can probably get a pic up in a little bit.

o

Thanks, but no pic required.
I saw a bit of the mulch in the pepper Thread. I would not recommend using that mulch in a pot.
At this point, however, the issue is the original soil.

Josh

o

• Posted by juku none (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 8, 11 at 20:16

I've been mixing 35/65 cedar mulch/top soil since last april with great result. The soil really drained out. Everythings grew and grew! last year i only top soil and was strugling with root rot and black flies.
I have about 60 pots of fruit trees, curry leafs, rare citrus, etc. In 3,4 and 5 gallons size.

Cheers!

o

Mulch helps keeping moisture in pots and should be used 2-4 inches deep.I use pine bark or shredded newsprint paper

o

Mulch as a top dressing is okay, but I would not add mulch into the potting mix or at the bottom of the pot because it's too heavy for the roots.

o

"Mulch as a top dressing is okay, but I would not add mulch into the potting mix or at the bottom of the pot because it's too heavy for the roots."

If you put it in the bottom it wouldn't be mulch.
In agriculture and gardening, mulch is a protective cover placed over the soil to retain moisture, reduce erosion, provide nutrients, and suppress weed growth and seed germination.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here