Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
5-1-1 and need to reapply lime

Posted by Oxboy555 Las Vegas (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 18:13

Say the plan is to keep a plant in 5-1-1 for two years. You apply the initial lime charge. Furthermore, say you irrigate with distilled/pure/rain water. Will that type of water, the incorporated peat and the decomposing bark constantly try to drive the soil pH down below say 5.0, necessitating another lime application before the two year repot?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 5-1-1 and need to reapply lime

i wish some forum guru would answer this. :(

Just want to know if adding the lime is always just a one-time deal at the beginning or if it ever needs to be added again down the road.

o

I'm no guru, but I've been growing in the 5-1-1 for several years now, and for the most part I don't re-apply lime. The 5-1-1 isn't really intended to be used longer than a season, but I think most of us are pressing it into service (to use one of Al's phrases) for more than one season. A couple years back, I did re-apply lime to my Moro blood orange by pulling back the surface mix and applying about a tablespoon all around, then replacing the mix so that the lime was covered. I watered well afterwards. However, I didn't notice any great difference in vitality, so I haven't bothered since.

I think the pH of the 5-1-1 will climb and stabilize, more or less, and as long as you are using a quality fertilizer, you should be good.

Josh

o

I was thinking about what to say for days on this one and Josh stole the words right out of my mouth...

Good job Josh! Well said.

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here