Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_parsons3820

preparing for autumn

ynot
10 years ago

With temps beginning to drop here in the foothills, I'm about to experience my first fall season with Japanese maples in containers. I'd appreciate advice/suggestions regarding any changes that should be made regarding watering, fertilizing, exposure to sun, etc as we get into the cooler months. .
gary

Comments (3)

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

You may want to ask in the trees forum?

• ynot
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for responding Drew.
    I've always asked questions about the care of all my plants (perennials, annuals and small trees) that I am growing in containers on this forum. And I recall (can't locate them) several threads last fall that addressed steps to take to reduce sun exposure and protect plants in containers against the dropping temps in the fall/winter.
    I'd like to get some advice as to when to move these small trees in containers to the north side of the house. (I read that this should be done but need to know when to do it! :o)
    But I have no idea regarding changes to be made with feeding and watering. I'm assuming fertilizing (I use Foliage Pro) should be stopped. But when do I stop it?
    I'm also thinking that I should continue watering during the fall and winter using the same schedule I follow in the summer:( water only when the ingredients are only slightly damp).But I'm just guessing.
    As you can see, these are simply my assumptions. I'd appreciate it if could get advice on these subjects.
    gary

• ynot
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for responding Drew.
    I've always asked questions about the care of all my plants (perennials, annuals and small trees) that I am growing in containers on this forum. And I recall (can't locate them) several threads last fall that addressed steps to take to reduce sun exposure and protect plants in containers against the dropping temps in the fall/winter.
    I'd like to get some advice as to when to move these small trees in containers to the north side of the house. (I read that this should be done but need to know when to do it! :o)
    But I have no idea regarding changes to be made with feeding and watering. I'm assuming fertilizing (I use Foliage Pro) should be stopped. But when do I stop it?
    I'm also thinking that I should continue watering during the fall and winter using the same schedule I follow in the summer:( water only when the ingredients are only slightly damp).But I'm just guessing.
    As you can see, these are simply my assumptions. I'd appreciate it if could get advice on these subjects.
    gary