Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fertilizer and hanging plants

Posted by RestorationBelle none (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 18:58

I bought hanging petunias 3 weeks ago and they're all now dead. For a week, 2 of them were beautiful, but I'm afraid I overwatered and over fertilized them (miracle gro) as they are now shriveled. Can I save them?
Here's my porch: http://my.diynetwork.com/crash-me-please/South/Memphis-TN/detail.esi?oid=30714526

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fertilizer and hanging plants

my guess is you over-fed and burned them. It is hard to over-water hanging pots. I would flush more with water and hope for the best.

o
RE: Fertilizer and hanging plants

Were the baskets on clearance? Three weeks ago is too late to charge full price for a basket of petunias, assuming they've been hanging around since spring. Don't recall ever seeing a fall shipment of petunias, but not looking either. Do "they" do that?

I disagree about the ease of overwatering the hanging baskets *if* the basket is the type with a recessed drain hole about 1/2 inch above the bottom surface of the pot. That allows 1/2 in of standing water in the pot. If it was fertilizer water, that could have been even more overwhelming than when it is plain water.

It's hard to find the right amount of sun for some plants in hanging baskets. The hook is usually hanging from something, casting a shadow - OR - sticking out so far there's never a moment of shade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here